S-04=Low Krausen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just brewed up my second batch of Flannagain Standard Stout

Using S-04, pitched straight in, fermenting around 66-68 degrees. The carboys are bubbling like crazy, but after 30 hours there is less than 1/2" krausen. I can see some thick brown crud on top, but the bubbles are not piling up like a normal krausen, but kind of popping. Anyone else ever experience this?

I am wondering if it is due to my mash temps, which were around 159? I also mashed for 45 mins before mashout (Beersmith directions) Maybe the flaked barley?

Anyone with insight feel free to chime in.

It is a fast fermenting yeast, you could be near finished with fermenting at this point.

All krausen are odd looking. Why worry about it? If you have ANY krausen you are good. Whether it looks like the mona lisa, a brain or more likely a pile of foamy goo is irrelevant.

All krausens look different, even using the same yeast on different batches.

The amount of krausen can vary for whatever reason, it can come quick and depart quickly or it can linger long after fermentation is complete, and it all be normal.

There is nothing "typical" in brewing...every fermentation is different, and should not be used to compare one with another...you can't do that.

No two fermentations are ever exactly the same.

When we are dealing with living creatures, there is a wild card factor in play..Just like with other animals, including humans...No two behave the same.

You can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....but it was like symbiotic or something...

With living micro-organisms there is always a wildcard factor in play...and yet the yeast rarely lets us down. So it is best just to rdwhahb and trust that they know to what they are doing. It sounds like you are brewing by a calendar, or instructions and not by what your beer is really doing, the problem is that yeast don't know how to read so they seldom follow their scripts. They dance to their own tune and its seldom 4 x 4 Time. ;)

Don't assume the worst with the yeast, realize that they've been making beer since long before our great great great grandfather copped his first buzz from a 40 of mickey's out back of the highschool, so they are the experts.

Yeasts are like teenagers, swmbos, and humans in general, they have their own individual way of doing things.

And worrying because it's not happening how fast or slow you think it should be is really not worth the energy.

It may not be what you expected it to be but that doesn't mean anything's wrong.

:mug:

Thanks for the replies, guys. Revvy, I like your philosophical take!

The fermentation was definitely pretty fast, I won't stress over the appearance of the krausen. As long as the yeast are doing there magic, that's good enough for me! :mug:

Back