Rye Pale Ale - how does this look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleGroveAleworks

Reaction score
Hi all, currently putting together a Rye Pale Ale that I'd like to brew on Sunday.
My goals for this beer are a decent rye flavor but not dominating, and a hop combination that will compliment it well.

OG: 1.058
IBU: 49
Color: 5.4
ABV: 5.7

11 lbs 2 row 73.33%
2lbs Vienna 13.3%
1.5lbs Weyerman Rye 10%
8oz Crystal 20 3.3%

Hop schedule:

.65oz Chinook FWH 26 IBU

10 min
1oz Cascade 6 IBU
.75oz Amarillo 7 IBU

5 min
1oz Columbus 8 IBU

0 min
1 oz each Amarillo/Cascade/Columbus

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Mash @ 150 / Pale ale water profile

Am I overdoing it on the hops? Will they dominate the rye contributions? Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Other hops I could substitute that I have if you think they would go better in this recipe:

Galaxy
Simcoe
Willamette
Centennial
Citra

From last experience, I would raise crystal, like closer to 10%. Also, watch the mash and sparge ph. Rye likes low ph.

I had more rye (18%) but it was obvious a bit more sweetness would have helped, so I will adjust a bit and say maybe not quite 10% crystal, but nudge it up some anyway

IMO you are not going to get much rye flavor with only 10%. I personally like 20 or even 25% in my Rye IPA's.

If you want a lesser amount of rye flavor I would up it to 15%. Maybe even up the crystal slightly.

For hops my favorite combo for a Rye IPA is Chinook and Centennial.

My favorite yeast for them is WY1450. Somehow that yeast is made for a Rye IPA.

I like rye in beer and your grainbill is close. Maybe up it to 2 lbs ryemalt.
I do like my rye beers to be a bit drier in taste so I mash lower, the rye should linger with the bitterness after the aroma/taste of the hops has past. That's just me.
I think Id use the Amarillo and the Cascade in a dryhop instead of 0 minutes or a whirlpool and get rid of the 0 min Columbus all together.
I think the yeast choice is interesting and would work, I use Am Ale II, Wy 1272.

Many people seem to like a sweeter malt flavor in their ryes, not me, the sweetness too easily overpowers the rye.

Have used Sorachi Ace in hop-stand and Dry Hop. That worked nice for me

Back