Rye Kentucky Common recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShareBrewing

Reaction score
Howdy homebrewers, this is my first post. Been brewing for about 3 years now but never really got into posting stuff.

I brew all kinds of stuff, from chocolate stouts and blonde ales to various sour styles. So here's what I'm doing and would like feedback-

It's time for my third variation on building a good Rye Kentucky Common recipe. Recently upgraded my system to a 2-tier backyard burner so 14 gal (3 carboys) is the norm (bless the brewing gods).

Rye Kentucky Common v.3

*estimated measurements
OG: 1.054. FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.6%. IBUs: 26.6
SRM: 9

16 lbs Pale ale malt 54%
7.5 # Flaked Maize 25%
3.5 # Flaked Rye 12%
2 # Crystal 60L 7%
0.5 # Victory malt (28L) 2%

2 oz Cluster pellets First wort hops
1 # Cluster 30 min
1 # Cluster 10 min
* Hops calculated with 7.0%AA. FWH calculated as 70 min addition.

WLP090 - Super San Diego yeast
(80% calc attenuation)
Will use 3.4L starter from 2 vials, split between 2 carboys

Because I have 3 carboys, I always do one a control, and the other two I experiment with. The second carboy I'd like to toss in some Hungarian medium toast oak cubes, about 0.5 oz. wanna keep it on the light side of oak flavor. I've found that Hungarian oak has a wonderfully earthy-spicy character that really compliments the rye. American oak I find to be too "whiskey-like" (sweet like I'm biting into a block of wood)...

Now on to the third carboy.... I was thinking of doing a 100% Brett fermented beer aged with some French oak and maybe some sort of fruit? Right now I'm thinking blackberries because I have 2 pounds frozen. But I also have around 10 pounds or more of NC east coast blueberries frozen. These are from 80 yr old bushes untouched by the scourge of pesticides.

What fruit(s) should I use if I'm doing a 4.5 gal batch?
What strain of Brett would you suggest?

I currently have a 4.5 gal batch of WLP653 Brett Lambicus fermented white wheat blonde. Tastes like apple and pear with a touch of spice, apple juice, and hint of honey. I really wanna experiment w/ Brett so I'm willing to do another.

Sorry for the novel. Any ideas/tips?

Sounds really interesting! My experience is that blackberries don't impart much flavor, so I might experiment with the blueberries.

The batch fermented by WLP653 I already plan on using some of the blueberries, maybe a pound per gallon. Thawing them out and blending up or crushing them seems to be the way to go.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what type of Brett would be good for a fruited, oaked beer? I've heard that Brett Lambicus from Wyeast has a good cherry pie flavor. Any ideas on good Brett/fruit combos?

Latest posts

Back