Kölsch Rye Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenugsmoustache

Reaction score
This is my first recipe post, so here goes. This for 5.5 gallons into the fermentor. I get about 65% efficiency so you may need to compensate for that little detail.
8lbs Great Western Full Pint
2lbs Great Western Rye Malt
.5oz Pilgrim 8.9%AA FWH
1oz Pilgrim 8.9%AA 10min
.5 Whirlfloc Tab 5min
WLP029
O.G. 1.045 F.G. 1.006

Mash at 154, 60 minute boil. Fermented at 64 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is probably the best Kölsch styled beer I've ever had. The rye brings body and that characteristic spicy quality to this beer. Which balances out the slight fruitiness that the slightly warmer fermentation temp brings. All who have tried this have fallen in love and demand I keep it on tap.

I know Leinenkugel's Canoe Paddler kolsch recipe uses rye in the mash, and I'm absolutely hooked on the stuff when I can get my hands on it at the store (Come on Leinenkugel, make it a year round brewski!). This recipe looks like it would probably be pretty similar in flavor. :mug:

This is my first recipe post, so here goes. This for 5.5 gallons into the fermentor. I get about 65% efficiency so you may need to compensate for that little detail.
8lbs Great Western Full Pint
2lbs Great Western Rye Malt
.5oz Pilgrim 8.9%AA FWH
1oz Pilgrim 8.9%AA 10min
.5 Whirlfloc Tab 5min
WLP029
O.G. 1.045 F.G. 1.006

Mash at 154, 60 minute boil. Fermented at 64 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is probably the best Kölsch styled beer I've ever had. The rye brings body and that characteristic spicy quality to this beer. Which balances out the slight fruitiness that the slightly warmer fermentation temp brings. All who have tried this have fallen in love and demand I keep it on tap.
This will be the second time I’ve made this beer…and I have to say that it is a fantastic beer! It’s a crowd favorite and I’m prolly going to have to start making it in 1/2 barrels in order to make it last. Absolutely delicious.

Back