Rye IPA - too much hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
I attempted a rye IPA a couple months back. It turned out ok but lacked some hop presence. I came up with the below which I am guessing will yield about 70 IBUs. Anyone think I'm overdoing it?

5 gal

9 lbs pale
1.5 lbs munich
2.5 lbs rye
10 oz crystal 20
4 oz crystal 80
3 oz carapils
3 oz roasted rye OR debittered black barley, depending on lhbs stock
.5 lbs flaked rye
.5 lbs rice hulls

Mash at 153 1 hr

Boil 60 min

Hops:
1 oz Columbus 60 min/fwh (according to brulosophy an exbeeriment showed no difference in IBUs between these methods)
.5 oz Cascade 10 min
.5 oz Centennial 10 min
.5 oz Willamette 10 min
.5 oz centennial 5 min
.5 oz Willamette 5 min
1 oz centennial flameout/steep 20 min
1 oz Willamette flameout/steep 20 min

Yeast: Dennys Favorite, ferment at 64.

Dry hop: at least 4 oz centennial/willamette for 1 week.

Any and all feedback would be appreciated!!

Nope - all looks good

This should actually turn out pretty nice

Lots of folks will generaly want to tweak things. I prefer to simplify crystal grain bills. In this case, a pound of 40L should replace 10, 80 and carapils.

My preference aside, you have what looks to be a solid recipe.

I'll echo what redlantern said above, at least saying that you can probably leave out the carapils all together if you're already going with the other caramel malts. I know people who prefer to use (for example) some cara 60 & some cara 20, as opposed to just cara 40, but I think that's up for debate.

As for the hop schedule, I think the full oz of Columbus at 60 minutes might be a bit much. I'm guessing the AA will be around 14%, and seeing as how you're doing so much late in the boil, it seems as if you're going for a softer bitterness.

I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of IPA with 1 oz of Columbus at 60 minutes (and mostly late-boil hop additions), and it ended up being way too bitter. But with your relatively dark malt profile, you may have different results.

either way, please update us as to how the beer turns out!!! :mug:

Nope - all looks good

This should actually turn out pretty nice

Lots of folks will generaly want to tweak things. I prefer to simplify crystal grain bills. In this case, a pound of 40L should replace 10, 80 and carapils.

My preference aside, you have what looks to be a solid recipe.

I'll echo what redlantern said above, at least saying that you can probably leave out the carapils all together if you're already going with the other caramel malts. I know people who prefer to use (for example) some cara 60 & some cara 20, as opposed to just cara 40, but I think that's up for debate.

As for the hop schedule, I think the full oz of Columbus at 60 minutes might be a bit much. I'm guessing the AA will be around 14%, and seeing as how you're doing so much late in the boil, it seems as if you're going for a softer bitterness.

I recently brewed a 10 gallon batch of IPA with 1 oz of Columbus at 60 minutes (and mostly late-boil hop additions), and it ended up being way too bitter. But with your relatively dark malt profile, you may have different results.

either way, please update us as to how the beer turns out!!! :mug:

Thanks to both of you! I will fiddle with the crystal a bit more. As for the hops I forgot to mention that I am trying to capture the magic hop juiciness of beers like Union's Foxy or RaR's Naticoke Nectar, both of which feature centennial hops. I'll check the AA on the Columbus hops to make sure it doesn't get too bitter but both of those are in the 65-75 IBU range and Foxy at 75, but with lower ABV, is about the SRM I'm going for.

Back