Rye IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like some feedback on this planned recipe for a Rye IPA featuring Warrior and Falconer's Flight hops. Thanks!

The recipe is based on Drew Beechum's "Falcons Gyre Rye IPA" from the Nov/Dec 2011 issue of Zymurgy, but I've diversified the grain bill a bit and spread out smaller hop additions, both in an attempt to add complexity (and just to experiment). I've also decreased the boil from 90 to 60 minutes - assuming that Beechum did the longer boil to build malt character from the Munich, but I've replaced some of the Munich with Crystal so thinking that won't be necessary for my version.

Anyway, here it is. I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Batch Size: 5.5 gallons
Est OG: 1.067
Est FG: 1.018
Est ABV: 6.4%
IBU: 70.0

10.00 lbs US 2-row (71.43%)
2.00 lbs Rye Malt (14.29%)
1.50 lbs Munich Malt (10.71%)
0.25 lbs Crystal 40L (1.79%)
0.25 lbs Crystal 60L (1.79%)

1.00 oz Warrior 16.0% AA @ 60 min
0.25 oz Warrior 16.0% AA @ 30 min
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4% AA @ 30 min
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4% AA @ 15 min
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4% AA @ 5 min
0.50 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4% AA @ flameout

Mash: single infusion, 60 minutes @ 152°F. Gypsum and phosphoric acid to achieve mash pH of 5.2. Batch sparge.
Boil: 60 minutes. 1 tsp Irish Moss in boil.
Yeast: US-05
Dry hops: 0.5 - 1.0 oz Falconer's Flight 11.4% AA for 7 days before kegging.

This looks really good to me. Let me know how it turns out. I am interested in doing a rye IPA.

Awesome. Good to know I haven't strayed too far with my changes to the original.

I'm making this the first weekend in February. Will post a follow-up here once I have some results. Thanks!

Looks pretty good. I do one that is very similar, but I use about 20% rye and I use Amarillo and Cascade hops.

I am really liking RyePA's and have been brewing them often oenough to keep some around.

I plan to do a similar brew next month, but toast the rye malt in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 to get a toasted rye brew.
Your recipe looks tasty.

Okay, so I brewed this yesterday after making a couple of last minute changes to the recipe.

After comparing the IBU's and BU/GU ratio on this recipe to an APA I did recently, I decided to double the 30-minute hop addition to 0.5 oz each of Warrior and Falconer's Flight. After tasting the unfermented wort, I'm glad I did - I got the nice long, herbal finish I was looking for. It stays with you for a while. :D

Also, after I collected the runnings I had higher volume and lower gravity than expected, so I decided to boil it for 90 minutes.

OG ended up at 1.065 and I pitched 15 g of rehydrated US-05. Airlock is now bubbling away. I'll post more as this develops. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Back