RYE IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunk2

Reaction score
My wife loves rye beers. I love IPAs. I was playing around on brewers friend, and I think I'm onto something. Thoughts?

Partial mash.

5 lbs light dme
4 lb 2-row
1 lb crystal 10
1 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked rye

My efficiency for my first partial mash was 84%. In case I got lucky, I'll assume 75%.

1 oz. Columbus fwh
1 oz. Falconer's Flight 60
1 oz. FF 30
1 oz. FF 10
1 oz. FF 5

Dry Hop 7 days with 2 oz. FF.

Should end up with about 7% abv using us-05, and 52 IBUs.

Thoughts?

I'd drop the flaked rye, myself, and up the rye malt instead. I have a rye IPA on tap at the moment. I think it was 2.5 lbs rye malt, and it's a perfect balance.

Also, I'm not sure where you're buying your grain, but if you can source crystal rye malt (NB has it), that's fun.

I'd drop the 60 minute AND the 30 minute addition and add that at flameout instead. 1oz of Columbus should be bitter enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just realized that brewers friend assumed a 3 gallon boil. You're right. I probably don't need the 60 minute addition.

I'm buying all of my grains locally. I'll see what's available.

I just realized that BF is saying US-05 is going to leave me with a FG of 1.021, but Nottingham would get me to 1.018. I may switch yeast, but have never used Nottingham.

What's the OG and mash temp? 1.021 is very high for an IPA, 1.018 is as well.

I'd also lower the crystal malt so that it's not higher than 5%.

Yeah, I guess that's because of the extract. Mash a little lower, and rehydrate your yeast, I'm sure you'll be able to go a few points under the estimated FG. It's a calculated prediction, but still a prediction. You can get it a bit dryer by taking care of your process.

But remember that DME has both crystal malt and cara-pils in it, so definitely think about cutting your crystal to at least half, or maybe omit it completely, and replace it with 2-row. If not, you have a lot of hop flavor and IBUs (96 according to my calculations, not even counting eventual flame out/whirlpool hops) in there to counter any residual sweetness/body.

I love rye IPA's but I always try to get them as dry as possible, since the rye - especially when using flaked - adds some body.

Good luck!

If you want to dry it out more, yes, mash low, but also, replacing a portion of the DME with dextrose (corn sugar) instead, will go a long way. For IPAs, I tend to add 3-5% in my AG batches anyway.

Well, it's in the fermenter with a few adjustments. My LHBS had already ground and packaged my grains. So, the crystal 10 is in there. Oh well. They didn't have all 4 pounds of 2-row yet. So, I threw in a pound of vienna because...well...I don't know. I felt like it.

They also didn't have 1 lb bags of falconer's. So, I went with citra. Why not...right? I also decided to save some pennies and bitter with warrior.

So, this is what's in the fermenter.

4 lbs light dme
3 lbs 2-row
2 lbs rye malt
1 lb vienna
1 lb crystal 10

Grains mashed at 150 for 1 hr

DME and 1 oz warrior added at 60 (4 gallon boil)
1 oz. Citra 15 min
1 oz. Citra 10 min
1 oz. Citra 5 min
1 oz. Citra 1 min

Rehydrated one 11 gram packet Nottingham in 100 ml of 87 degree water. Pitched at 68 degrees.

OG - 1.066

I cut back the DME by a pound to avoid potential issues. It's in a swamp cooler right now, and I'm going to shoot for 65 degrees with a blow off tube.

Now....we wait!

Do not drop the flaked rye at all. I have brewed a lot of rye beers and i find a get a much better rye flavor with the flaked rye. The down side of the flaked rye is you do not get much fermentable sugars.

I just took a hydrometer reading and I'm happier than a hog in slop. The Nottingham took me from 1.066 to 1.010. The flavor is phenomenal. I dry hopped it with 3 oz Citra.

1411344861914.jpg

Sounds like a good job. I'm on my second batch of light rye PA. 7 lb two row and 2 lb rye malt. Next time I might jack up the rye. It is easy to cover up the rye character with hop bitterness and SWMBO likes her beer hoppy. I've heard that a high temp cereal mash for the rye brings out the flavor, too, but I haven't tried it.

At 2 pounds, the rye is in the background. My wife really likes rye, I wanted an IPA. In the future, I might bump up the rye for her. This is definitely a keeper though.

Hum... How did the Nottingham worked, flavour-wise?

From what I've read about it, this is one VERY dry yeast, with a subdued, but notable, English flavour profile.

It seems very clean and neutral, but with all that this beer has going on the yeast would really have to step up to be noticed. This is the first time I used Nottingham. 84% attenuation seems insane after using US-05 for my last few beers.

Hum... How did the Nottingham worked, flavour-wise?

From what I've read about it, this is one VERY dry yeast, with a subdued, but notable, English flavour profile.

I would also like to know about the flavor profile. Does it have any flavor notes about being tart? I have read that this happens sometimes with Notty.

Latest posts

Back