Rye ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskinner10

Reaction score
Something I've been working on since I finished up an archaeological survey project and have yet to be sent on another. I call it "Bitter Archaeologist RyESB". I'm not looking to strictly adhere to the style guidelines but any advice/critique is welcome!

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: Extract
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated FG: 1.013 SG
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.9 IBUs
Estimated ABV: 6.0%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

1.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 23.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs

8.0 oz Caramel Malt - 90L 6-Row (Briess)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
4.0 oz Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess)
2 lbs 4.0 oz Rye Malt Extract Syrup [Boil for 60 min]
6 lbs Rye Malt Extract Syrup [Boil for 10 min]

1000ml starter from 1.0 pkg Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275)

I'm wondering if the Caramel 90 would impart a odd flavor for an ESB?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks. :mug:

90 is a little dark, but I think it will add some nice toffee notes. I wouldn't go more than 8 oz on the 90. That's a lot of rye extract; can you substitute some of that for lme? I haven't used rye syrup before (only grain), but that does seem like a lot of rye base.

90 is a little dark, but I think it will add some nice toffee notes. I wouldn't go more than 8 oz on the 90. That's a lot of rye extract; can you substitute some of that for lme? I haven't used rye syrup before (only grain), but that does seem like a lot of rye base.

I think the rye extract is actually only made with 20% rye (the bulk of it is 2row), so the amount of rye in that recipe is not that high. You could use rye malt extract for 100% of the fermentables and still not over-do it.

That's right Walker, NB's rye LME is only 20% malted rye. The rest is 70% 2-row and 10% caramel 40. If anything I'm worried about the specialty grains covering up the rye flavor. I wonder if I would get any flavor contribution from steeping a little rye malt along with the other specialty grains?

Also, I'm thinking about swapping the Wyeast 1275 for Wyeast 1968. I've heard some bad things about 1275's reliability.

Latest posts

Back