Rye beer for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckCollins

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi looking to brew this for a competition 15D any feedback is welcome:mug:

7 lbs Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 42.7 %
2 lbs 2.1 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.0 %
2 lbs Munich Dark 30L (Gambrinus) (35.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.2 %
2 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 12.2 %
1 lbs Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.1 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.1 %
1 lbs Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 7 6.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (245.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.5 % ???????
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 12.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) [35.49 ml]

and rice hulls

One thing I learned in researching my own rye recipes, is the importance of a decoction mash. It's more work, but apparently will help cut down on the possibility of a stuck sparge. Since rye doesn't have hulls, it can gum up pretty easily, and a rest at 122* helps eliminate this. I don't have any personal experience yet, that's just what I've been told by people that do. Here's the link to my thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/trying-again-rye-barleywine-416171/

Also, check out the link in there to the AHA recipe for Roggenbier. I'll be brewing that next weekend.

The recipe looks really "busy" to me. Why the 1lb of wheat? It has too much rye in it for my preferences but as stated, you can do 50% (or more) rye in a recipe. I'd add a small hop addition at 20-30 min - something noble would be fine. I also highly recommend adding some rice hulls to prevent a stuck sparge.

what do you mean by busy ? the pound of flaked wheat is for helping head retention shoud I tone that down and I plan on a pound of rice hulls,
going to do a beta-glucanases rest at 95-100 for 20 min and work up to a rest again for a protein rest for 20 minutes and do a single decoction mash
need to plan it out as i have never done a decoction mash before :D the Munich Dark shoud help out on the color as well as a malty flavor i can up it and do away with the plain Munich ,the flaked rye is to help reduce some of the issues of rye gumming up I hope I am open to fine tuning this as I really want to nail this style since it is a old and rare style I have spent alot of time researching it ....

what do you mean by busy ? the pound of flaked wheat is for helping head retention shoud I tone that down and I plan on a pound of rice hulls,
going to do a beta-glucanases rest at 95-100 for 20 min and work up to a rest again for a protein rest for 20 minutes and do a single decoction mash
need to plan it out as i have never done a decoction mash before :D the Munich Dark shoud help out on the color as well as a malty flavor i can up it and do away with the plain Munich ,the flaked rye is to help reduce some of the issues of rye gumming up I hope I am open to fine tuning this as I really want to nail this style since it is a old and rare style I have spent alot of time researching it ....

Looks like you're already on the right track! Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the grain bill. Some people tend to prefer more simple bills, and I've definitely seen more complex bills than yours. It looks like you're trying to adhere to the style for Roggenbier, right? What yeast were you thinking of using?

Just realized you mentioned that in the original post. Looks good to me, I don't think you should have any problems. Your process looks spot on, as well as I can tell. I'd say go for it!

Wham did a beta-glucanases rest at 98 for 30 min and worked up to a rest again for a protein rest for 30 minutes and did a single decoction mash and mashed out with 8gals at 1.042 which is dead on in my mind :D Step one is a go....

Roggenbiers typically have 50% or more Rye. So it could even have a little more.

Agreed. Made a roggenbier with about 53% rye malt and it wasnt rye enough. I will make it again with flaked rye at about 5-10% to up its ryeness.

I also used wlp380. I don't know about the chocolate rye. The beer is a rye beer, not rye assault. Some other flavors are needed to compliment the rye. I used pale ale malt as the other base malt but pils or Vienna is nice. The rye really adds an insane amount of mouthfeel so be aware of that and don't make a rye milk shake.

Too much maltiness will ruin this beer. It won't be drinkable. The dark melanoiden rich malts will make it taste chocolaty on their own, and too much makes it cloying and unpleasantly rich like an undercooked pumpernickle bread. Id drop the dark malts way back.

You don't need head retention with rye. There's more protein in this beer than a pound of meat.

:mug:

Roggen.jpg

Back