Rust!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
I used a stainless hot water heater hose to make a mash tun and haven't gotten around to using it yet.
Decided to check out all the equipment today since ill be doing my first all grain batch next weekend. I had filled this with water after making it to ensure it wasnt leaking but apparently didnt get it very dry.
What am I missing here...where did I screw up?
Is this thing a goner or what?
20160430_134340_zpsuk9f2alm.jpg

First things first obviously you can't use that, second I see a brass fitting in there also be careful with those they often contain lead which can make you retarded.

To solve your problem I would find some CPVC fittings and tubing for the inside and either have a straight tube with slits cut in it coming out from the bulkhead or make an entire manifold if you're feeling adventurous. Make sure it's CPVC not regular PVC that stuff leaches toxins (apparently). Cheers happy brewing.

I don't agree with either of the above statements. It is stainless but it might not be 304SS (which is fine). It might be a lower grade/different grade. Either way it should be fine. Just use some Bar Keepers Friend to polish the rust away. Should be good to go down.

I don't agree with the above statement.
If there's rust on the outside there's likely rust all through the braid.
Even assuming one could "polish" the outside of a braid, that's not going to get all of it - or likely even most of it - and it certainly isn't going to remain in any usable state for long.

I'd replace it for sure...

Cheers!

[edit] If that braid rusts just from water, wait'll it sees some 5.something pH wort...

I guess I'm not understanding why it's junk? I've seen people use hack welded kegs that are sugared terribly. Clean it up with Bar Keepers Friend. I think he'll be surprised on how well it'll clean up. The fact he's using a plastic cooler and SS braid instead of kettle and FB tells me he's a budget brewer. There's no reason to throw it out man. You'll be fine!

I don't agree with the other statements. It's fine for now, but you're going to keep getting it wet, so I'd replace it soon. The rust will eventually get worserer.

Did you clean it with any type of chlorinated or bleach cleaner? Does your water coming into your house have a high chlorine content?

Chlorinated products can cause rust on stainless, in fact if you look under the kitchen sink where people store open containers of Comet or Ajax, you'll see rust forming on stainless braided supply lines or even corrosion on other metal objects (copper pipes, etc).

Thanks for all the feedback folks.
Though I am on a budget, I still wanna make some rust free beer. So I put some new hardware on order on amazon.
Screenshot_20160503-082313_zpskvxa5y9l.png

rust marks in the cooler suggest the hose air dried in a puddle of liquid. I would have used it but I'm thrifty.

I would clean off what you can and use it. A little iron oxide is not going to hurt anything. I would be very surprised if there is enough to give a metallic taste.

Next time, after rinsing your tun, turn it over so the braid hangs away from the bottom to dry.

Back