Rust in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgasm135

Reaction score
Ok, so let me start of with: Yes, I'm dumb for doing this...

...moving on. I had built a mash tun out of a cooler for my first all-grain batch. There were no SS washers available at Lowes or Home Depot at the time, so I grabbed some regular steel ones, I think maybe zinc coated? I can't remember. Yeah, I knew it would eventually rust, but I figured having liquid in it for an hour at a time would get me a quite a few uses out of it before I needed to replace the washers.

Well, all went pretty well in my brew day. I transfered my wort into my fermenter and then realized... damnit, I was using my cooler as a swamp cooler to hold fermentation temps. So, without thinking about it, I moved the stainless steel braided hose to the side that and placed my fermenter in it. I filled my cooler with cold water and dropped in my frozen water bottles, got it to 65 F, and went on with my life.

Long story short, I have a rust stain going up my cooler and I need to take the washers out and replace them and clean everything out, but the rust stains don't seem to want to come out.

Is there anything recommended I can use to clean with and can I still use this cooler as a mash tun without harming my next batch of beer?

Latest posts

Back