Run Off Double Batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jitteringjr

Reaction score
So this week end, I am brewing a UK old ale and expecting an OG of 1.070. I know that I always leave a lot of unused sugars behind on these larger beers so I was thinking about doing a session beer with the left overs. I use a batch sparge with a cooler BTW.

The plan would be to brew the old ale as normal, but then continue mashing into a second vessel until I had enough for a second brew. I would then bring the second kettle to a near boil and store in my other fermenting fridge for 24 hours and brew it the next night.

I grow my own hops so I have a crap load and I can grow more yeast with starters.

Has any one done this? What gravity did you get on the second brew? Would you cool the second wort with an immersion cooler before putting in the fermenting fridge? Anything else to look out for?

Dynachrome said:
It'll work.

Commonly - I believe - its called a partygyle.

That's a partigyle alright. I've found it useful to essentially do a double mash if I don't start with a huge grain bill at the outset.

I've done it with my maibocks. I usually keep some dme on hand to add to the boil of the seconds runnings for a session beer.

So things went well but slightly different than the 58%\42% or 66%\33% splits mentioned in the linked threads. I saw 73% of the sugars in the first 7 gallons and 23% in the second 7 gallons I drew off. Glad I had dme on hand for the second batch. First batch hit 1.062 from a calculated 1.067 so my efficiency was slightly lower than average for me. The second batch got a 2 hour boil to help concentrate the wort and I hit 1.040 after boiling off 3 gallons and adding 1.5# dme.

Check the taste of the 2nd batch for astringency before you invest hops / yeast etc. into it.

I find the 2nd runnings can be very astringent, can't fix that.

Did you notice the astringency at the wort stage or with the finished beer? So far for me at the wort stage, it was not noticeable.

Thanks. I know what astringent tastes like. Just taste a Killian's stout. Ok well you can't anymore becuase it was discontinued but I digress.

I was wondering if cyclman noticed it in the sweet wort or if it just came out more after the sugars have been converted after fermentation and conditioning?

You know, bottom line is you're not wasting any money by collecting the sugars that are remaining. Essentially, I think most of us stop collecting our run off at 1.010, since the theory is that tannins from the husks might be brought though. Bollocks to that. Extract as much as you can but keep in mind the hop schedule for a light beer like you're going to be boiling.
I have no problems making a 2.5% AVB beer that would have otherwise gone to waste. I'm kegging up 3 gallons of my weak session beer tomorrow.
Cheers,

Back