Run dip tube to keggle bottom if I use a hop spider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer021175666

Reaction score
I just made a hop spider and now, I wonder if I can run my dip tube right to the bottom of the keggle without clogging the dip tube end or the plate chiller with trub. Or, would I still need a hop filter on the dip tube end. When I had no hop spider, I ran the dip tube to the side of the keggle but that leaves a lot of wort in the bottom. Sucking the keggle almost dry sounds great but, can I? I don't mind the tiny hop dust particles (that escape the spider bag) getting into the fermenter. I just don't want the flow to get stuck.

I'd say best to leave the hot break trub in the keggle. You could always tip the keggle at the end if it looks like you are leaving a lot of wort behind.

I skim my hot break as it occurs. Some might (probably?)get through but, I am not concerned with clarity because I like hazy, cloudy beers. Not, to argue of course. Thank you for the suggestion, Eric.

Well, I'm back. Search the net as I may, I cannot find much about this topic. It seams someone surely knows the aswer to my question but, it must be a highly guarded secret. Anyway, if I can't get an answer, I will just make a dip tube that extends to the bottom of the keggle and see if using the hop spider will keep the plate chiller from clogging yet, give me all the precious and previously lost wort I hope for.
However, an account of someone else's experience would be much appreciated! :)

I skim my hot break as it occurs. Some might (probably?)get through but, I am not concerned with clarity because I like hazy, cloudy beers. Not, to argue of course. Thank you for the suggestion, Eric.

I don't think it is possible to skim most of the hot break. Most of the hot break forms in the wort during the boil. I have a hop spider that I don't always use, but when I did still got plenty of hot break trub to cone up in my kettle.

I don't use a plate chiller so really not sure if that break trub will clog a plate chiller or not. I guess it might not its pretty fragile stuff. Still my preference is to leave majority of the hops and hot break trub in the kettle so I design my recipes to be able to leave about 1.5 gallons behind.

Back