Ruined my kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert1097

Reaction score
So I've had a kegerator since my college days (that was a joyous day) w/ a single dispensing tower for a Sanke system.

Since getting into homebrewing, I've wanted to convert it to a corny system w/ three taps. I aquired the triple tower, kegs and drill bit to convert.

All holes were drilled, the manifold installed then I come to find that 3 cornies do not fit very well inside. I had a stroke of genious and decided to install a lock hasp on the door figuring (correctly BTW) that this would keep the door shut w/ all 3 cornies.

I drilled all but the last hole for the hasp w/o any difficulty, thinking about how smart I am, how good 3 homebrews will be on draft.....etc. My last hole does not want to be drilled so I start pushing like crazy and it finally gives way and the screw self taps.

Then.....I hear a very concerning hiss. :mad:

Stops hissing. I wait. I then think that maybe there was a seal in the insulation that I punctured? I plug it in to see.... starts hissing again.

My beloved kegerator has met its demise. :(

The fridge is the cheapest part of the build, if you can get one off of craigslist or something....it sucks, but at least you have all the equipment!

That sucks. Like shorty said though, you may be able to score a new fridge or freezer on CL for cheap.

Pop the inside panel off, pull the line out, have someone braze it up for you, recharge it and you're good to go.

And all for the price of 2 new refrigerators. Having a certified tech repair a punctured line is generally not worth the cost compared to a new fridge. One guy on here did just this. $150 just to have a tech come look at it, then it would have another few hundred to repair and recharge.

Also WPS, many new refrigerators have the condenser coils attached to the outer skin and embedded in the foam insulation, making repairs just about impossible.

Back