Rudamel going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I am trying a raspberry-short mead, I think they are called rudamel.
started with 1 gal boiled water
add little more than 1.5 lb honey
add handful raisins
SG was about 1.06 (aiming for 7.5% ABV)

Added yeast nutrient every 24 hours for first 3 days. Fermented to 1.013

On day 5 added 2 cups raspberry juice + sugar (mixed to be a matching must of 1.06)

It is fermenting nicely, now on day 6. It is a BEAUTIFUL bright, rich red color. If it stays anything like this it will be some wonderful looking session mead.

I’m glad it turned out for you. A bit of clarification:
Mead with fruit = melomel
Mead with rose petals = rhodomel
Cheers!

Yes, a "rhodomel" is mead with rose hips, but a "rudamel" is mead with raspberries. In fact, I think it is specifically a low ABV mead, or short mead, with raspberries. But as to the last part I am not sure.

Major fermentation is done, and probably could rack now. But it tastes very blah, not really much taste at all. Should I:
1) rack and let it sit a couple months
2) give it some more fermentables; either more honey raspberry juice
3) wait to stabilize then back sweeten

Your opinions and ideas are appreciated

Major fermentation is done, and probably could rack now. But it tastes very blah, not really much taste at all. Should I:
1) rack and let it sit a couple months
2) give it some more fermentables; either more honey raspberry juice
3) wait to stabilize then back sweeten

Your opinions and ideas are appreciated
Add acid blend an back sweeten to taste let settle an bottle

Have a look at Groennfel.com. They make low ABV meads and have a lot to say about it. I think the mild taste of low alc meads is a reason they carbonate theirs. Anyway, worth a look.

Last edited:
Honeys and juices carry flavors (volatile organic compounds) along with sugars. Once the sugars are consumed the volatile organic are left behind. I tend to have high ABV meads because I like the intense flavor that more honey brings. However, I’d also caution that when you do high ABV meads you also have to let them age much longer. I’ve had meads that needed two years of aging to get good, but at four years they were heavenly.

Just tried some of this rudamel at 8 weeks. It is not bad, I opened a pint to just try a small sip, but it will be hard not to finish it tonight. I can't wait to try to ones that I bottle carbed.

Back