Rubber Stopper Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guidos858

Reaction score
I want to start by saying that I really don't think I have an infection. I've been on that thread for several months. I got a lacto infection that lasted about 5 batches before I just, plain got rid of everything and started over again.

I use only glass or plastic (better bottle) for all fermentation. I use star-san and soak everything for at least an hour. So, I really HOPE it's not some sort of new infection.

I brewed a red ale, it was my own recipe. I'm getting a weird rubber stopper taste. Like the rubber stopper I use to seal it during fermentation. I kegged it at 6 weeks 'cause I'd plum run out !! I'm wondering if it's too new, but from all that I've read too new flavor is more of a green apple flavor.

I've read that the rubber stopper flavor is an infection. I'm afraid that it was light strike. I forgot to close the blinds the few very unusual, sunny days we had last month here in Seattle. Any opinion?

I've had this problem with a few past batches. My research suggested to me that I might be fermenting at too high of a temperature for the particular yeast strain I was using. I started using a small sealed off room under my stair case (averaging 67F ambient) for primary, then after two weeks moved the fermenters into my crawlspace for another 3-4 weeks (averaging 60F ambient). My rubber flavor disappeared from my beer, period!

I had this flavor in my beers for a few batches before I really smelled/tasted the path my beer takes before it hits bottle or keg. Turned out to be the grommet/rubber washer from my bottling bucket, tasted like a rubber band. I ran water through the spigot and drank it - there it was.

I've also since become obsessed with using clean/new tubing for transfers or siphoning.

is this rubber flavor present throughout the entire beer? Ive noticed that with newer rubber stoppers they will give their flavor to the top fraction of the beer where i pull my samples from, but as a whole its okay.

I had this flavor in my beers for a few batches before I really smelled/tasted the path my beer takes before it hits bottle or keg. Turned out to be the grommet/rubber washer from my bottling bucket, tasted like a rubber band. I ran water through the spigot and drank it - there it was.

I've also since become obsessed with using clean/new tubing for transfers or siphoning.

I think you might be correct !! It got up past 70 deg. and stayed there for a couple days in the bedroom where I do my fermenting. I've had it in the keg for about a week now and the flavor is dissipating a little bit. Thanks for the responses:mug:

Could you post your recipe plz :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I entered a dark lager in a competition recently. One of the notes from the judge was very slight rubber taste / smell. He suggested it stayed on the yeast cake (primary) too long. Not sure if that is a real thing or not (that batch was in primary for 15 days.

I entered a dark lager in a competition recently. One of the notes from the judge was very slight rubber taste / smell. He suggested it stayed on the yeast cake (primary) too long. Not sure if that is a real thing or not (that batch was in primary for 15 days.

Extract recipe?

Extract recipe?

All grain (BIAB). I can't smell / taste anything strange. I brewed it for someone and am not really into dark beers so I am probably not the best one to test.

I used to experience this aroma in my extract recipes until I realized that I was using way too much malt extract...turned out it was an overwhelming malt presence. Maybe scale back the mash temp or the extract content...

Back