rubber grommets for ale pails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
When I took my airlock out of my ale pale the other day, the grommet split in two. Where can I get the grommet without having to order it from a brew store online? I assume I can get them from HD or Lowes but I am unsure the size.

lidgrommet.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/grommet-for-lid.html

Thanks!

Just got to blowe's,home cheapo,or F*** It up Yourself. They have those metal cabinets with a bunch of drawers labeled for different sizes & types of the little stuff. I think it was blowe's that even carries the hardware to fix do it yourself furniture. But they def have different sizes of grommets,tubing,o-ring seals for kegs,etc. I even go to them for the odd bits for my lil tuner.(new age name for hot rodded car). Just like my sig says,everything works if ya let it...;)

I got tired of those damn things and just drilled a larger hole and now use drilled rubber carboy stopper with airlock. The bigger hole allows me to peek and its easier to clean and place the carboy stopper.

I got tired of those damn things and just drilled a larger hole and now use drilled rubber carboy stopper with airlock. The bigger hole allows me to peek and its easier to clean and place the carboy stopper.

wow.. thats a good idea..

Just spritz the grommet with starsan from your spray bottle before inserting the blow off tube or airlock. It acts like a lubricant that when dry,seals it better. We did virtually the same thing at the plant when installing the vacuum lines.

Just use a normal drill bit and work the hole out? It doesn't need to be a perfect circle does it?

ok, I was trying to get the easy way out :) I'll buy a larger spade bit unless you think a 1 inch is enough

I'm not home right now, but I think it was 1" for my spigot and 3/8" for the grommet. Not sure what you need for the large rubber stopper. I'd advise measuring existing holes to be sure about the size you want.

+ 1 on bigger hole and stopper! I have a 1 inch hole which allows me to cram a blow off in as well as my thief for readings so no need to open all quick and easy!

The hole size depends on the rubber stopper you have/buy. Believe me they come in all different sizes and not all are pre drilled. Do yourself a favor and buy the predrilled one. Then make a hole at least the size of the tapered end. I went with a carboy stopper and used a hole saw. Balue right about the bigger hole allowing you to use a wine thief for gravity readings. It save having to open the lid.

I used a1 inch spade bit,but was kinda a choppy hole for my bottle bucket,still worked, i wasnt gonna pay 60 bucks for that cone bit they had.

If using a spade bit, best to only go partially in, scoring the circle. Then I take the bit off, and using the pilot hole created in the center, manually score the inside as deep as you have patience for (unless you have a compact drill that can fit inside the bucket). The resume boring it from the outside. Makes a clean hole, just go slow and even as possible. Otherwise I've cracked some.

Those grommets are garbage, they break so easily. Just drill your hole a bit bigger so that a universal bung will fit in it and then just use that

Latest posts

Back