RTD PT100 Auber vs. OEM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obeahsf

Reaction score
Does anyone see the benefit of going with Auber
Auber Liquid Tight

Auber - does the NPT taper more than typical on these? Is that what makes them liquid tight? Doesn't all NPT threading taper?
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=249

Ebay Generic 1 - 1.5" probe (38mm), but measurement might start at back of probe rather than back of threads. Not totally sure.
http://tinyurl.com/h9zr6xq

Ebay/Amazon Generic 2 - I can only find this version with 2" probe (50mm), which would hit the other side of tee fitting. I believe Augie uses 2" and threads into one of the ends of the Tee rather than the side, thus the liquid takes a 90 degree turn. I swear I've seen these with XLR included too, but can't find them now.
http://tinyurl.com/hlst8hf

Thanks for any advise!

Clearly the last link is a reseller rather than OEM, since there are several HK purveyors on eBay for around $8 plus shipping. Should've written Auber vs. generic. I could use to save the money if others work the same.

Aubers are generic.. auberins orders them with 3 pin connectors where most of the generics use the 4 pin version. It makes no difference in functionality. Auberins designs thier controllers but just about everything else they sell they just buy wholesale and resell. They may offer better support but you pay dearly for it.
I use the similiar ones sold on eBay with the short probe and better Teflon coated cable.. the stainless braided ones are better in theory but that's it. They kink and the wires inside short easily.
Aliexpress and Alibaba have the ones with connectors at each end already as well as the 316 grade stainless version Brau supply sells not that it has any advantage in home brewing. I just ordered two 40a solid state relays from Amazon which are from the same manufacturer as auberins buys theirs from only I paid $9.74 for both combined shipped

Aubers are generic.. auberins orders them with 3 pin connectors where most of the generics use the 4 pin version. It makes no difference in functionality. Auberins designs thier controllers but just about everything else they sell they just buy wholesale and resell. They may offer better support but you pay dearly for it.
I use the similiar ones sold on eBay with the short probe and better Teflon coated cable.. the stainless braided ones are better in theory but that's it. They kink and the wires inside short easily.
Aliexpress and Alibaba have the ones with connectors at each end already as well as the 316 grade stainless version Brau supply sells not that it has any advantage in home brewing. I just ordered two 40a solid state relays from Amazon which are from the same manufacturer as auberins buys theirs from only I paid $9.74 for both combined shipped

I like the short 7/8" probe on those Brau Supply sensors and that they have all the disconnects with panel mount. I can't find anything quite like it on either Ali. Do you have a link by chance?

Also, are you saying that the steel kinks or the Teflon?

It sure looks like the Auber MPT have a more aggressive taper. Is that an optical illusion?

I like the short 7/8" probe on those Brau Supply sensors and that they have all the disconnects with panel mount. I can't find anything quite like it on either Ali. Do you have a link by chance?

Also, are you saying that the steel kinks or the Teflon?

It sure looks like the Auber MPT have a more aggressive taper. Is that an optical illusion?

The ones brau sells are one ali or alibaba... If you do a search here for 316 temp probes you will find a thread from a year or two ago where me and brau kind of went at it because he claimed the 316 stainless ones would last longer and that they were made especially for him and no one else had them. Until I had posted the link with the same photos and description he used on his site.

Whenever someone sources or specs something to be made for them overseas its usually not long before that manufacturer or another next store sells the same thing direct for much less of a markup. Im going to leave it at that because its really an old argument with different points of view.

The stainless braided line kinks, it sucks.. catches on everything and is very difficult to keep clean if wort gets spilled on it.
probe length is preference.. Too short and your measurement will be more effected by the temp of the kettle wall and mounting fitting and tend to read behind increasing the chances for overshooting.... Too long and its in the way. I use 1.5" long probes in my kettles I believe with a long probe in my rims to almost reach my element for more accurate control.

as far as the taper think of this... with a more aggressive taper the gap inside the kettle fitting at the other end is going to be bigger and potentially harbor more nasties right?... With a regular taper you use teflon tape to fill this gap and the element will thread into the hole further so which is better? In reality I thing this is a non issue completely.

I use these and soldered my own 99 cent 3 pin aviation connector on the other end for my panel...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...372539?hash=item3ad669f97b:g:5L4AAOSwh2xYBJoL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RTD-PT100-T...959914?hash=item3ab3ff5b6a:g:IMUAAOSwvU5XMyMH

as far as the taper think of this... with a more aggressive taper the gap inside the kettle fitting at the other end is going to be bigger and potentially harbor more nasties right?... With a regular taper you use teflon tape to fill this gap and the element will thread into the hole further so which is better? In reality I thing this is a non issue completely.

I was starting to feel the same way. Seemed like the more aggressive taper was really only meant for attaching to a tee fitting.

I'll probably go Kal's route with straight thread on boil kettle probe.

I was starting to feel the same way. Seemed like the more aggressive taper was really only meant for attaching to a tee fitting.

I'll probably go Kal's route with straight thread on boil kettle probe.

But what benefit would a thermoprobe serve with a sensor like this that has its own? I believe it will just increase your chances of slow/inasccurate readings depending on how well you get the thermal grease in between them and the probe walls.

But what benefit would a thermoprobe serve with a sensor like this that has its own? I believe it will just increase your chances of slow/inasccurate readings depending on how well you get the thermal grease in between them and the probe walls.

Maybe I'm confused. That design is not using a thermowell, if that's what you meant. It just uses straight (metric), rather than tapered MPT threaded RTD PT100 temp probe on the boil kettle. The taper was not needed since it is going straight through the kettle wall.

Also, I was thinking the more aggressive taper would be better to avoid leaks in a tee fitting. This is also assuming the Auber model actually does have a sharper taper, and I'm not just seeing things. Have you had any problems with leaks with these on tee fittings?

Thanks!

I'm forgetting the metric and getting the same threading for all three. It's pretty confusing though, considering different sellers use different conventions for measuring the probes. Brau Supply advertises 7/8" probe, but that is just the probe. Auber says 1.5", but I believe they measure from the back of the threading. Ebay probes say 1.5" or 2", but I think they're also measuring just the probe.

I'm forgetting the metric and getting the same threading for all three. It's pretty confusing though, considering different sellers use different conventions for measuring the probes. Brau Supply advertises 7/8" probe, but that is just the probe. Auber says 1.5", but I believe they measure from the back of the threading. Ebay probes say 1.5" or 2", but I think they're also measuring just the probe.

Most sellers give the probe dimensions since the mounting base is constant and doesn't matter other than the thread size.the real measurements are mm and just rounded to standard sizes. Some resellers change the advertised specs just to throw people trying to compare them to a product being sold by others... I see this a lot, For example the same exact size conical being advertised as different sizes to throw buyers off... like my stout "clone" conical which has the identical dimensions as the stout version but its advertised at say 7.3 gallons instead of 8 gallons so prospective buyers are thrown off from thinking these may come from the same factory even when they do. I also noticed this with kettles and pumps as well...

Like this pump. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251283431120?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

which is really the same pump as here...
https://brausupply.com/collections/pumps/products/brew-pump-24v?variant=897231945

notice even though many of the specs are the same that the ebay seller reveals the the model of the pump and says the threads are "Outlet 20.3mm Inlet 20.3mm ( G1/2 thread)" and the other says "1/2" NPT fittings in and out," even though its not truely the case... (they are really interchangable as far as fittings go because they are plastic) brau doesnt state the pump model because he doesnt want the average customer to see that he just bundles them with a $4 powersupply and than charges over 100% markups for them over normal retail even though he likely buys them in bulk for like $12-15 each... (Ive found no indication these are foodgrade BTW)

I have the Auber probe and wire. The Ebay one looks exactly the same. I would buy the cheap probe. The one nice thing about the auber wire is it has a disconnect on both sides so I can completely remove the wire for storage. If I wiggle/move the wire the temp fluctuates. And again I the more expensive auber. After my Auber 2352 died and got no credit/discount from auber for another one I would never buy any of there products again. The Mypin TD4 works just as good for 1/2 the price. There help is Ok at best. They sort of rushed my off the phone when I was first setting it up and there Chinese Accent is so strong I could harldly understand them,

Hey Auggie, could you link where you got your probe and wire. I "thought" you said you have/found one with a disconnect on either end. Are the disconnects universal or do I need a new disconnect on the box?

Hey Auggie, could you link where you got your probe and wire. I "thought" you said you have/found one with a disconnect on either end. Are the disconnects universal or do I need a new disconnect on the box?
I did a while back on aliexpress but I havent looked in a while... I solder my own connectors on since its way more cost effective than paying someone else to do it for me. the connectors are all different.. that said there was a seller on aliexpress which sold the same ones as auberins and even had the 316ss versions Brau sold as well... you can go there and do a search for them.

I did a while back on aliexpress but I havent looked in a while... I solder my own connectors on since its way more cost effective than paying someone else to do it for me. the connectors are all different.. that said there was a seller on aliexpress which sold the same ones as auberins and even had the 316ss versions Brau sold as well... you can go there and do a search for them.
Will do thanks

1.5" probe from Auber and 7/8" probe from Brau are the same size. Brau measures the probe only and Auber's measurement includes the threading. There are a bunch of eBay probes listed that look like the Auber probe, but they are 50mm (about 2") for the probe only. This is represented by a graphic on the pics. The Teflon covered wire versions have 38mm (1.5") and 50mm (2") probe lengths. Though, they'll come from questionable sources with no support. None of these include the panel mount, dosconnect, or mating wire. You can purchase a 3-pack of XLR plugs and mounts from Uxell on Amazon for about $9. There are only a couple of these probes coming from a domestic shipping origin at this price, all of which are 2" probes. Kal's DIY kit uses the Auber probes.

This is not meant to be a statement of preference. I'm still trying to figure out what to buy. Definitely want the 1.5" size as I prefer side mount on tee fittings. I may get them from Kal, in return for all the information I've gleaned from his site. It is a nice kit. Most of the Hong Kong sources list a delivery date of up to a month. I don't mind a couple weeks, but I'd like to be building before that.

1.5" probe from Auber and 7/8" probe from Brau are the same size. Brau measures the probe only and Auber's measurement includes the threading. There are a bunch of eBay probes listed that look like the Auber probe, but they are 50mm (about 2") for the probe only. This is represented by a graphic on the pics. The Teflon covered wire versions have 38mm (1.5") and 50mm (2") probe lengths. Though, they'll come from questionable sources with no support. None of these include the panel mount, dosconnect, or mating wire. You can purchase a 3-pack of XLR plugs and mounts from Uxell on Amazon for about $9. There are only a couple of these probes coming from a domestic shipping origin at this price, all of which are 2" probes. Kal's DIY kit uses the Auber probes.

This is not meant to be a statement of preference. I'm still trying to figure out what to buy. Definitely want the 1.5" size as I prefer side mount on tee fittings. I may get them from Kal, in return for all the information I've gleaned from his site. It is a nice kit. Most of the Hong Kong sources list a delivery date of up to a month. I don't mind a couple weeks, but I'd like to be building before that.

lol really questionable sources? I'm sorry but thats a biased comment if I ever saw one... a chinese product coming from a chinese seller or something bought on amazon or ebay is automatically a questionable source? Ebay and amazon have a pretty good protection plan now days and sellers are quick to support thier products if they are defective ... if you break it 60 days later by yanking the wire too hard well then you should have to buy another... at the ebay prices you can buy 3 and still not pay the same price you would through a "Reputable" middleman charging you a 300% markup after buying from the same "questionable source" themselves?

Just my 2 cents on this but I have bough a lot of stuff from uxell (with the little 10% off your next order cards because they charge a little more than most other ebay sellers) myself and the experience and products are that same as pretty much any other ebay seller. You can buy a 5 pack of the same 16mm or 12mm 3 pin generic aviation connectors for about $5 on ebay.. I have 5 on the way to me now and just recieved the 5 pack of 2 pin connectors I ordered last week. I look at feedback myself when making a purchase and with over 1000 ebay purchases I still havent had that bad questionable experience everyone keeps warning other about here when telling them its better to pay 2x3 times as much so you can have support... why not just buy 2 and still come out way ahead if by some chance something goes wrong?

Dont get me wrong I buy stuff from places like auberins and even Kal but even the last thing I bought from the electric brewery website was really just sold and shipped by Spike... It was a standard stainless based chinese made 4500w ripple element that only puts out 4050w of power and cost me $53 (more than the real camco brand element it copies would be from brewhardware)... if you compare that to the TC based elements I just bought direct for much less you would see theres no comparision except maybe build quality. if convenience is the priority than those sites can be benficial but if budget is (which I believe was the point of this thread) Than its important to note you can get the same quality and very often the exact same components for much less by not going through a one stop shop convenience vendor. some things will be more reasonable priced than others since the sellers buying power and profits will vary from product to product. The Walmart mentality just doesnt work for everything just as everything isnt always cheaper on ebay (Ive found generic refurb car parts can often be cheaper from the local autostore ironically)

lol really questionable sources? I'm sorry but thats a biased comment if I ever saw one... a chinese product coming from a chinese seller or something bought on amazon or ebay is automatically a questionable source? Ebay and amazon have a pretty good protection plan now days and sellers are quick to support thier products if they are defective ... if you break it 60 days later by yanking the wire too hard well then you should have to buy another... at the ebay prices you can buy 3 and still not pay the same price you would through a "Reputable" middleman charging you a 300% markup after buying from the same "questionable source" themselves?

I appreciate all the help and advice. However, nowhere did I mention that because something comes from a Chinese seller, eBay, or Amazon, that it is "automatically a questionable source." I've ordered plenty, and had pleasant experiences from all of those sources. Having done business in China, I know it can feel like the wild west sometimes, so I do try to cross-check things a bit more. With a probe, it's not a huge investment, so less consequential. What always makes me feel a bit stand-offish are products that come from dozens of sellers, but all have exactly the same pics/graphics. It looks like someone created a bunch of accounts with slightly different prices to give the impression of some kind of local competition. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy some, especially with the protection from eBay. That said, I recently had a terrible customer experience with them trying to exercise this protection against a scam (I was the seller).

Honestly what it's coming down to, is not wanting to wait a month and wanting a specific probe size. Having decided I don't want to wait that long to save the dough, I would also prefer to support those who are part of this community. Ironically though, if I'd ordered something when I started this thread, I'd already be a week into that month. :)

I appreciate all the help and advice. However, nowhere did I mention that because something comes from a Chinese seller, eBay, or Amazon, that it is "automatically a questionable source." Ironically though, if I'd ordered something when I started this thread, I'd already be a week into that month. :)

So what were you commenting about then when you stated that you could buy on ebay "Though, they'll come from questionable sources with no support." ? Ive found the average wait is more like 2 weeks for a single rtd probe to me in New York... But different sellers ship differently and there is a listed expected delivery date depending for a rough idea.

I would recommend the teflon covered lines myself , Thats what I use as I find the stainless braided lines to kink easily and the wires to be so thin they break easily.
I have bought about 10 pt100 sensors on ebay and amazon combined now over the years and all worked fine including the really cheap $5 ones with the metric threaded base. One however was not made of stainless and I found that out quickly.. When I asked the seller about it all they stated was it wasnt advertised as such so it was my bad for assuming.

Back