rown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter05

Reaction score
Hello everyone, please take a look in my brown ale recipe. I want a smooth, nice malty beer that fills your mouth in every sip. I'm gonna make it in a single step of 158 F°. This is the malt profile of the beer. What do you guys think? Tips?

2 pills row (1,8 SRM) Grain 77,9 %
Caraaroma (Weyermann) (203,0 SRM) Grain 9,1 %
Munich Malt (9,0 SRM) Grain 5,2 %
Oats, Flaked (1,0 SRM) Grain 5,2 %
Chocolate Malt (350,0 SRM) Grain 2,6 %

Est Original Gravity: 1,042 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1,010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4,0 %

Looks pretty good! At only 1.042 OG, I don't know if it will "fill your mouth with every sip" but I like the basic grainbill.

If you want a richer fuller flavor, you could use maris otter or golden promise as basemalt instead of the pils. That would give a more rich flavor than pilsner malt. You could also add some more oats if you want a creamy rich silky mouthfeel- even 9-10% would be ok.

Looks pretty good! At only 1.042 OG, I don't know if it will "fill your mouth with every sip" but I like the basic grainbill.

If you want a richer fuller flavor, you could use maris otter or golden promise as basemalt instead of the pils. That would give a more rich flavor than pilsner malt. You could also add some more oats if you want a creamy rich silky mouthfeel- even 9-10% would be ok.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatelly, I don't have carapils, so I am using oats. The most commun basemalt in my country is pils :(, we do not have maris otter or gp... I am considering adding more oats. Do you think it can get too sweet because of my 158 single step?

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatelly, I don't have carapils, so I am using oats. The most commun basemalt in my country is pils :(, we do not have maris otter or gp... I am considering adding more oats. Do you think it can get too sweet because of my 158 single step?

Maybe, but if you want a rich, full body then 158 is good.

Maybe, but if you want a rich, full body then 158 is good.
I'm trying something more english, I'm gonna put 25 ibus to it. Single hop cascade or styrian goldins, haven't decided yet. Tomorrow is the day to brew this one. Feedback soon. Thanks :mug:

For 1.042 OG and 1.010 FG I get 4.18 ABV at 76% attenuation. That attenuation would be very hard to get with a mash temp of 158, if it was my beer I would mash closer to 152.

Back