Rounding ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayUnt

Reaction score
How many of you round your ingredients to use what you have?

I am going to be brewing a Scotch Ale recipe I found online. The recipe has 1.3lbs of caramel malt 40L, .8lbs munich malt, .6lbs of caramel malt 120L. My LHBS only allows to buy ingredients by the pound, so I was forced to get 2lbs of 40L, 1lb of munich and 1lb of 120L.

I'm debating whether to just throw it all in to use it up or not. I don't brew enough to really know how this will change my recipe. When i put the updated recipe in my app, it still conforms to the style, but I'm sure it will change the taste. Especially adding the additional .4lbs of 120L.

Thanks

No. I have seen recipies that for example have 1.1 pound of this and .4 lb of that which I have rounded down to 1 lb and rounded up to .5 lb that can work out fine because the total weight of the grains remains the same. Also, you might not want to round up something extra roasts. If you round up .6 to a full pound you likely change the balance and character of the brew and of course more grain elevates the OG. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. I think i'll just run with the original recipe. They wrote it like that for a reason and I'm sure they have a better understanding of recipes that I do.

I always round. I've been brewing for 18yrs and I can't tell the difference between 1.5lba and2lbs. of most things, unless it's a really dark rosary malt. Personally, I would do 1lb of crystal 40, 1lb of Munich and .5 of 120. It's almost the same total weight. Maybe have a bit of dme if your Gravity is a little low

I create my own recipes and I do make them in more even amounts. Even if I start with a recipe I use Beersmith and adjust the amounts. Often they need to be changed to suit my equipment anyway.

I don't try to adjust to an even pound though. I buy in bulk so one pound increments don't apply.

Depends on your scale and your patience.
Me, I round to the ounce for malts, to the quarter (or third) ounce for hops.
My regional HBS will sell malts by the ounce online, but to the gram on an emailed recipe.

Back