Round or cube cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If fly sparging, the tall and round one is usually better. If batch sparging, either will work.

The round beverage coolers are better insulated than the Igloo cube coolers. The cubes are cheaper, or about 1/2 the price. I use a cube for batch sparging and am satisfied. The cubes are a little bigger at 48 vs 40 quarts. Preheat well and you will only lose a degree, maybe two IME.

I think it comes down to storage space..
What can you fit easier in your living space.
And for modification, i made a cube cooler into a self reliant mash tun, by adding a heating element, a mixing device and a pump..
It's easier to add these things to the cube style because there is just a bit more access room.
That being said, I've found that the round coolers seem to drain better, and more consistent.
It's good to have both, but if I had to choose I think I'd go with the cube.
In the end its more bang for the buck.
Cheers.

I use a large rectangular one, a "five day" insulation level cooler that was on sale. I batch sparge. I have it pretty full, and usually throw an old coat or two over the top for the hour's mash. It holds temperature to within a degree during that time.

I use a rectangular 70qt marine grade Igloo cooler, and it insulates better than my friend's round one.

I see. For what it's worth, I use a round Home Depot cooler, get a consistent 70% efficiency, hit my mash temp target and holds it for a 60 minute mash.

Well, if yer gonna go there, my rectangular gets an average 85% efficiency, I hit my target temps within a degree, and lose about a degree over a 90 min. mash. But that's beside the point. I reqlly like the rectangular because the larger opening makes it easier to stir the grain into the water and get rid of doughballs.

Timely thread. I saw a massive rectangular Igloo cooler at Sam's Club for around $70 if memory serves me correctly. This thing almost resembled a casket it was so friggin large. Of course the home brewer in me thought about all of the beer that I would be able to make using this beast. I think I am going to pull the trigger and get one. Thanks Denny...

I've used a round 5gal round cooler for 3gal batches and it was a pita to stir when batch sparging. Though i had good eff. I have since moved to a cube and prefer it, though i had to go with a manifold of cpvc as it is the type with wheels. With preheating i never had a problem with keeping temp in the +/- 2 range for my 60 min mash. I throw and old winter coat over it.for.good measure. Its much easier to stir in the cube but image the rectangle is that much easier. I only used these coolers as i already owned them. Best of luck with what ever you choose.

Timely thread. I saw a massive rectangular Igloo cooler at Sam's Club for around $70 if memory serves me correctly. This thing almost resembled a casket it was so friggin large. Of course the home brewer in me thought about all of the beer that I would be able to make using this beast. I think I am going to pull the trigger and get one. Thanks Denny...

Besides my regular 48 qt. cooler, I have a 152 qt. we refer to as the "mash coffin". It'll hold 75 lb. of grain 1.5 qt./lb. and still only be 3/4 full. We do 10 gal. of a 1.100 BW no sparge, then do 12 gal. of a second runnings beer.

Seems to me that it is pretty much preference.

I have the 10 gallon round cooler with a hot water heater braid. Iv'e never tried any others coolers. I have no problems stirring in the grain. It holds temperature at about 1-2 degrees for 60 minutes - mid winter in my garage.

I have not come even close to filling it so far.

Besides my regular 48 qt. cooler, I have a 152 qt. we refer to as the "mash coffin". It'll hold 75 lb. of grain 1.5 qt./lb. and still only be 3/4 full. We do 10 gal. of a 1.100 BW no sparge, then do 12 gal. of a second runnings beer.

Nice! What gravity do you get for the "small beer"?

Denny is correct that rectangle makes it easier to stir but really a minor point. However, I am surprised that no one has posted that blue is better than red. Sadly, I have a Red rectangular cooler and get 85%. Thinking about going to Blue to get 90%

Denny is correct that rectangle makes it easier to stir but really a minor point. However, I am surprised that no one has posted that blue is better than red. Sadly, I have a Red rectangular cooler and get 85%. Thinking about going to Blue to get 90%

Actually, a blue one will get you to 137%. After a few batches, bags of grain start appearing in your brewery! ;)

Heat loss will be due to surface area to volume ratio and insulation. What is in the walls of your cooler? Who knows. Based on the SA:V, a round is going to have less heat loss ASSUMING IT IS FULL AND THE INSULATION IS THE SAME VS A CUBE. Is the heat loss due to surface area less than that lost to poor insulation? You would have to buy each to do a side by side in order to find out. Using an oversized rectangle offers up surface area that is very large on the top and bottom vs the amount that is going to be present to make up 10 gallons or so.

Back