Rototiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
I was wondering ,now that we have had a hard frost, should I run a tiller over top of my first year hops. I just cleared a small circle for each to get started. Today I ran the tiller down each side and in between. I was wondering if I could pull the stakes and till over them. Do not know how deep I could go before doing damage.

do NOT till them. Cut them off close to the ground and leave them be. The root system stays fairly shallow, so any tilling is going to really screw 'em up.

Definitely stay away from the plants. Tilling even a few inches would chop the root up into small pieces. Tilling around the root is a good idea, as the secondary roots will spread out in the Spring.

Definitely stay away from the plants. Tilling even a few inches would chop the root up into small pieces. Tilling around the root is a good idea, as the secondary roots will spread out in the Spring.

I agree completely but, will add, that this would be more effective and benificial to the plant come spring. When the plant can use it.

Right?

I mean won't the soil just compact again over winter thus defeating the purpose. The plants will come out of dormancy to a soil that had the air leeched out from melting snows, if the OP has them. (No geo info in profile.)

I had just made a 12in. circle cut out of sod when planted. I was tilling 1 width on each side and in between to make more of a bed to keep the grass out and make it easier to cultivate. With asparagus I till over in the fall makes a bed and keeps grass and weeds at bay. I guess the ? was how deep the roots are. Thanks for the advice- warning.

they are very much like a rose bush cut them back with a sharp pair of snippers ,and leave them be for the winter they need rest .if you do this they will rise again ,

Cover them with a think layer of mulch (not chipped wood...leaf or grass) if your soil is already fairly loose, it will help to reduce frost heave, and will provide some nutrients as it breaks down (wood mulch consumes nitrogen to break down, so it reduces the soil nutrients).

Back