Rookie mistake mixed up the sparge and mash water adds.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
I made a big rookie mistake and put the sparge water in at 5.33Gallons rather than the mash at 3.33Gallons is my beer ruined?? HELP PLEASE!! Is that too much water for the mash???

Last edited:
When batch sparging, it's actually better to use more water for the mash than the sparge. Thinner mashes increase conversion rate, and near equal runnings volume for mash (reduced by grain absorption) and sparge (not affected by grain absorption) are optimal for lauter efficiency.

Brew on :mug:

Looks like you're well past your sparge by now, so I'll just add that I'd take doug's advice for future batches and just stick to the volumes you used today when doing a single sparge. I'm guessing you had about a 10-11 lb grainbill, so with your original numbers you would have had about 2 gals of first runnings (or a little less depending on deadsapce) and 5.33 gal of sparge. Your new way you should have had about 4 gals first runnings and 3.33 gal sparge.

Back