Roller Mill/Grain Crusher Motor Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruhaha

Reaction score
I have a Kegco 3 roller mill that I power from a Harbor Freight 9 amp drill. I BIAB exclusively and have learned that fine grind is acceptable with the BIAB technique.

I was looking at an advertisement for a dedicated grain mill motor that ran at a predetermined speed of 180 rpm. The company says it is bad business to spin a mill higher than that since you run the risk of shredding the husk which in turn can lead to astringency issues.

Humm, I admit I grind my grain pretty fine so it looks like I have steel cut oatmeal but with a minimal amount of powder. I get good efficiency and my beer is not suffering from astringency issues. It only takes a couple of minutes to grind 5# at a time, so maybe I am running too fast. But, if I go slower, the rollers bind up and I have to back up the drill and get a running start.

Is this just "marketing" information for sales purposes...or what should I be concerned with?

At minimum that is an oversimplification. I have reduced my grain to flour and had no astringency issues. So, I think PH is plays a role in that.

Ideally, I would like a lot of things in life, perhaps even for my mill to not spin over 180 rpm.

The company I believe you are referring to makes a very nice product, but I'm not sure it would make my beer any different, or not 4-500 dollars different.

Ymmv

I believe I know what motor you are referring to. I was tasked with designing a dedicated motor for a local supply store (that has since closed but my motor set up lives on) and decided against the "all in one" set up and with a motor and gear reducer set up from Surplus Center. I found it to be more serviceable and easily reparable. It came out to about the same price, more or less, which was around $300 once your factor in the lovejoy couplers and wires and switches and so on.

As wilserbrewer said (very well), of all the things in life I want, exact control of the RPM, especially with BIAB, would not be high on the list. That said, if you want to see the diagram and part list I used, send me a PM and I'll sent it over. Its not complicated.

Like all things brewing, there are basic set-ups and wow elaborate set-ups. I think we all like fancy and bling, but function is my basis for expenditures. Not knocking any product out there by any means as they each have a place and hopefully a buyer. If my $39.00 HF drill does the job and I am getting great efficiency and great beers, I'll look no farther.

Interesting how marketing messages plant seeds of doubt.

I believe I know what motor you are referring to. I was tasked with designing a dedicated motor for a local supply store (that has since closed but my motor set up lives on) and decided against the "all in one" set up and with a motor and gear reducer set up from Surplus Center. I found it to be more serviceable and easily reparable. It came out to about the same price, more or less, which was around $300 once your factor in the lovejoy couplers and wires and switches and so on.

As wilserbrewer said (very well), of all the things in life I want, exact control of the RPM, especially with BIAB, would not be high on the list. That said, if you want to see the diagram and part list I used, send me a PM and I'll sent it over. Its not complicated.

I believe, as you said YeastMode, BIAB is possibly more forgiving than other 3V systems. With no clogged strainers to belabor, I have seen my BH% get higher as I grinfd finer. I have read lots of Wilser's posts, and while I believe exact RPM of a grain mill could be viewed as ideal, I don't feel as though the equipment I have now is failing me or my beer quality.

I also agree that adjusting my water chemistry balance prior to mash in ensures my greatest possible potential for a great beer. Not the grind per se, but the chemistry balance.

Thanks for the support!!

Latest posts

Back