Rogue Ale growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Rogue Brewery packages their Dead Guy Ale in a 1/2 Gall. growler. Does anybody know if this beer is bottle conditioned? Do they use a special seal or process in order to use a screw-off lid? What I'm getting at is, can these be used for bottling homebrew? I've been thinking of getting some flippy top growlers, but they are crazy expensive - if it'd work, why not get some beer for about the same price? Appreciate any info.

Rogue is big enough that I think they just bottle in the growlers, not condition. I don't know why you couldn't bottle condition in them though. If you put the lids in sanitizer that is pretty warm the rubber seal gets soft and when you screw it on it gives you a good seal. Then put a piece of tape or whatever on it so you know if you have opened yet.

Thanks. I guess it's worth risking a 1/2gall. on next time I bottle. It must be air-tight - I guess the only question is whether she'll stand the pressure.

Thanks, richbrew - those look like they might work. I'll just have to buy a bottle and measure. If this works, I'm going to be a big-time Rogue Ale drinker for the next couple of months - never had it before; hope it's good.

I have 3 growlers from different brew houses around the state. They all bottle condition and carbonate fine.

this sounds like great news, i always thought it wasn't possible or at least risky. i guess my growler collection might come into some use.

Back