Roggen beer, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azazel1024

Reaction score
One of my few disappointing beers I brewed early on was a Roggen beer about 2 years ago. I used S33 and way too much C20. Too sweet, no phenolics.

This time around I am using WLP380 Hefe IV yeast, which BTW is a beast. I haven't brewed with it in at least 6-months since I made a hefe around May. Pulled the vial out and got a starter going, krausen within 6hrs and cranking over this morning after 12. I figured there would be almost no vitality left (that I might have to step starter it). Gives me some confidence that some of my other liquid yeasts might realistically be able to go 6 months in the fridge also (I've been trying to use and make oversized starters every 3-4 months with each one. I keep/use San Diego Super, German Lager, WLP005 English, the WLP380 Hefe and WLP500 Belgian as my go to yeasts with the rare vial I buy and use the once for something that just can't be made with those other yeasts, like an Oktoberfest or Dopplebock).

Anyway, here is what I was thinking. Please let me know what you think.

3.5 gallons
3.5lbs Rye
1.75lbs pale 2-row
1.75lbs Vienna
.75lbs Crystal 90L
.25oz Columbus 13.4AA 60 minutes
.25oz Columbus 13.4AA 7 minutes
WLP380 yeast fermented at 64F
1.061OG, 1.014FG, 6.11%ABV, 22.4IBU, 13.8SRM

Going for a bit of toffee/slight caramel with a hint of licorice from the Columbus with spicy Rye overlaying it all and some clove emphasizing that rye. I got a lot of Clove when I brewed my Hefe back in May at around 68F, so I am hoping cooling it off a few degrees my let that clove be a little more subdued (this strain doesn't really produce much of any banana at any temperature, which I am happy with as that is not my preferred Hefe/beer flavor).

IME, anything with over 30% rye or so makes for an unpalatable thick mouthfeel. Think drinking nyquil. I would look up the special step mashing germans usually use to not impart that thick mucousy character

also 68F with a hefe yeast should be much more banana geared than clove. Like 62 would be more clove. At least from what ive observed and read everywhere

Ive made roggens with 70% rye malt. Though I do a double decoction step mash and use a hefe yeast. Its has a faint oiliness, but not syrupy at all. Really your recipe looks fine. Id use munich malt, over vienna, but thats really splitting hairs.

the 3333/380 strain is more clove based at any temp, its the mildest of the 3 hefe strains.

Maybe drop the 2-row and go all Vienna in it's place? I only have about a pound of Munich, but I've got about 40lbs of Vienna right now.

I recently made a Roggen - 45% rye, the rest was equal parts Munich/Pilsen for about 50%, then a little aromatic, C60, and Carafa Special II... Came out good BUT - I used a Hefe yeast, and I feel like there's a little too much Hefe-like character to the finished beer. If I had it to do again, I think I'd try an American wheat ale yeast, try to get less yeast character and let the malts show up a bit more.

Back