Robobrew V3 1000W element died—suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new boards are reportedly much improved w/r/t reliability, though I think only time can really confirm that. We'll see!

The new boards are reportedly much improved w/r/t reliability, though I think only time can really confirm that. We'll see!
I sincerely hope so.
At least you're able to replace them yourself, instead of having to ship that whole unit back at your cost, as 'warranties' often demand.

I understand the need for updated revisions, sure, and they should be free replacements whenever the older one(s) exhibit problems.

Now if they aren't compatible with existing (older) parts in the machine, then the manufacturer should provide the extra needed parts as well, free of charge. The cost to the manufacturer for those replacement parts is relatively small, they're often only a small percentage of the listed dealer price after applying hefty markups. Keep that in mind.

If I had paid for the unit in the first place, I'd definitely be expecting free replacement parts. Since I didn't, I'm ok paying $35 or whatever to get it working again.

To circle back on this, I ended up completely removing the board, and yeah, it dead:

fried-board.jpg

I bought a replacement board from Brewer Dude (who orders them from MoreBeer). They sent me a V3.1 board, which isn't compatible with the V3.0 display I have. (Different pins on the ribbon cable.)

Nathan at Brewer Dude went above and beyond and ordered me a V3.1 display on his own dime, which should arrive today. I'll install it and let y'all know how it goes.

I don’t see anything wrong here :-0

Throw in an RPi with CraftBeerPi on it. Bolt the SSR to the plate that closes off the the bottom, by the floor.

Circling back around on this one more time: I got the new display to go with the new board, and the unit is back up and running. Brewed a batch on it last weekend with no issues.

Back