roasted barley 300L needed( only have 500-600)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustynails223

Reaction score
Hi I am brewing a Irish red ale recipe that calls for roasted barley 300L, and I can only get roasted barley 500-600L here in juneau alaska. What should I do?

Someone chime in and correct me if im wrong but say it calls for 1oz 300L then use 0.5 oz of the 600. In reds you are mainly using the roasted barley for a color addion to give it a deep amber hue. And on a side tangent you can cold steep roasted barley and add it at any point before bottling to augment the flavor or color. Since roasting it has already destroyed the sugars in it.

Roasted barley also adds flavor. 500L doesn't have twice the flavor as 300L, slightly different flavor but not double. By simple cutting it in half you loose to much of the flavor it will bring to your beer. I say this out of experience, if he cuts it in half it won't taste the same.

BobC said:
Roasted barley also adds flavor. 500L doesn't have twice the flavor as 300L, slightly different flavor but not double. By simple cutting it in half you loose to much of the flavor it will bring to your beer. I say this out of experience, if he cuts it in half it won't taste the same.

This. I would sacrifice color for taste. You could also roast your own in the oven

Latest posts

Back