Road trip beer question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pm613719

Reaction score
I'm currently on a road trip and I had the idea to buy a six pack from every state I drive through. I unfortunately have to leave the beer in the car while I'm out and about so it's constantly sitting in hot, hot temperatures. Will this damage the beer and or cause the bottles to explode? thanks for any answers. I tried to search for an answer to this in the forums but had no luck.

I wouldn't worry much about bottle bombs, it'd have to get pretty hot for that. However, heat is not beers friend...just means you will have to drink it sooner than later.

Bottle bombs? Nah...

But if you have some hoppier stuff, I might be worried about temp. Just for the love of gawd, make sure it's out of the light.

Get cans. And if you can find unrefrigerated cans well then .... Ding ding. (that means "even better"):fro:

Put it in the trunk. A car's interior gets hot because sunlight is going straight through the windows, heating the (mostly non-reflective) interior where it's shining, and generating a lot of heat that has no way to escape (glass transmits infrared more poorly than visible light, and being solid barrier, prevents convection altogether). In a dark space pretty well sealed off from the passenger cabin, you're not likely to get much warmer than the ambient temperature outside of the car.

...unless you have an SUV/station wagon/crossover/whatever where it's just one big space from the windshield to the hatchback, then you're hosed.

Thanks for the advice and the ideas. I do have all of the bottles covered so they are not in the light. I'll probably look into the cooler too. I'm currently in the south and it's been close to 100 outside so I know my car is over that inside when it's parked.
Thanks again

Back