Ro system help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
I am building a new house and having the builder run a RO system in a pot filler in my brewery.

yesterday the builder got back to me with a quote for $1,300 talking about running two systems in tandem to save cost and not use a bigger RO system. can you guys give me some information on the RO systems you use or the setup you run. i think the builder is overthinking this.

i live in Utah and no one knows a darn thing about beer or building a home brewery. its almost impossible to explain simple things.

Most places that use RO systems use multiple systems in line in order to miminmize waste. The two systems themselves can run you 1,000 alone so I think it sounds reasonable and smart

That sounds like a royal profit for your builder.
I'm sure there's some extra plumbing involved, but small RO units are not that expensive.

Maybe contact our sponsor Buckeye Hydro?

it sounds like the builder may have overspec'd the system, and maybe quoting you with a more industrial/commercial unit rather than the residential units most of us install ourselves and buy for $100-200.

If he is quoting you based on standard residential units, then he is definitely overcharging you, but I would ask for more information.

Ask for the gallons per day rating of the system he is quoting you. If it is only 25-50 GPD, then that sounds like a pretty standard residential system. If it is significantly above that though, he is thinking about a much different RO system. Also ask for model numbers as well as RO membrane longevity information if he has the info.

I'm thinking he has over specified this system too. You should be all-in for under $600 here include parts and labor... unless you really are tryign to do commercial volumes.

If you are just concerned with filling up your pot on brew day you may want to think about something like having a lower flow system (+/- 50 GPD), but adding a large pressure tank (say 40G, of which about half is usable). You'll always have brewing water ready to go. You also have created your own emergency drinking water supply.

In addition to the brewery usage, have them plumb a line to the fridge water line. Then you'll have RO ice cubes and unlimited RO water for drinking.

Lots of great information. I am going to email the builder tonight and get some more information and report back.

As filters/ membranes go what am I looking for anything specific that I would need for brewing?

I would love to run a line to the fridge but it's on the other side of the house in the basement but I wouldn't imagine it being that hard.

Lots of great information. I am going to email the builder tonight and get some more information and report back.

As filters/ membranes go what am I looking for anything specific that I would need for brewing?

I would love to run a line to the fridge but it's on the other side of the house in the basement but I wouldn't imagine it being that hard.
As far as what you need for brewing, there are a number of ways to go, and it depends on how you want to operate, your budget, your space constraints, etc.

As said above, you can get a cheaper RO system with only a 25-50 GPD membrane, but a really large pressure storage tank, and then just drain that to your brewing system as needed, and expect that it may take hours to recharge the system.

Alternately, you can go with a much higher GPD system, which typically is going to be substantially more expensive, and just run that as needed for brewing, or just an hour before. I personally don't think this way is worth it, but if that is how you want to operate, you should look into it.

I remember there were some on-demand tankless RO systems with high throughput when I was looking around years ago, but at the time they had poor reviews.

If you feel handy enough, you could install a common residential RO system, and plumb it to the pot filler yourself. It is pretty easy to add the storage tanks. I added an 11 gallon one when I put my RO system in the house years ago.

As a side note, if you are going to brew with RO water, and you are mashing, make sure to add brewing salts as needed for proper mash pH as well as desired flavor profiles.

Problem is easily solved with money. Just make sure they run a 3/8” line otherwise your flow will suck.

I put my RO system in the basement next to the brewery, the pressure tank under the brew sink, and then ran a line up to the fridge on the main level. The layout of my house was clearly designed around keeping all the utilities close so this was easy, but with new construction should be easy too.

May also want to look into a system with a booster pump or permeate pump. Tank pressure is about half of line pressure so fridge flow can be a little weak.

I won a two gallon, under the sink, three filter, RO system that holds about 1.75 gallons of RO from a local water softening equipment supplier and retail on it was $499.99 installed. They installed a faucet on the sink and everything. Nice system especially for free. I imagine it would be a lot less $$$ if you DIY.

Problem I have with doing it myself right now is the builder will not allow me to work on my own house unless I have contractor certs. My brewery will also be 100% finished with 1/2 inch thick brick on the back wall so I want to have everything ran and plumbed before its finished.

I like the smaller system with a bigger tank idea. I think that's exactly what I need. Running my water off the day before is not a big deal to me.

Problem I have with doing it myself right now is the builder will not allow me to work on my own house unless I have contractor certs. My brewery will also be 100% finished with 1/2 inch thick brick on the back wall so I want to have everything ran and plumbed before its finished.

I like the smaller system with a bigger tank idea. I think that's exactly what I need. Running my water off the day before is not a big deal to me.
Once your builder gets back to you, let us know what they are planning for you. If it is different, and you want to go the large storage tank route, look for the storage tank that you want, find the dimensions, and make sure there is adequate space for it where the system will be installed - this means not just for it to be installed, but also space for it to be serviced in the future.

fwiw, I started with a 50gpd APEC system for $200 which pretty much required filling the kettles with brew day liquor starting early the day before. Then I replaced the original membrane with an Filmtec 100gpd unit ($37 delivered) which generates my typical 20 gallon liquor needs in under 5 hours. While I still have to gather RO the day before brewing there's much more leeway on start time.

$1300 better be a system that feeds a garden hose at decent GPM otherwise that's money ill spent. Do yourself a favor and PM Russ @Buckeye_Hydro. Good guy, he'll let you know what you're really looking at wrt cost vs function...

Cheers!

We're always happy to walk folks through the process of specifying exactly what they need, and just as important, the things they don't need. Feel free to give us a call at your convenience at 513-312-2343

Russ

Yeah, what others have said, plus...
My RO system cost about $250.
It's a basic system off Ebay, plus an auto fill float valve installed in a 55 gal. food grade plastic barrel sitting on top of my beer fridge.
Then gravity fed it to my LT with 1" PVC.
Barrel stays full, delivery to the LT is super fast.
Really nice having 55 gallons of emergency water too.

Latest posts

Back