RIS / hoppy mild partigyle critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Plan on taking advantage of the long weekend and brewing up a RIS and partigyling it into a hoppy dark 'mild' (need to get rid of some hops). I'm calling the small beer a dark mild cuz IME the runnings from a stout don't give much roast. The RIS will probably get aged on oak, but its not set in stone. Let me know what you think.

RIS, 5.5 gals
OG: 1.097ish
IBUs: 88ish

15.5lbs Marris Otter
1lb Flaked Barley
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Chocolate Malt (maybe half pale choc?)
1lb Special B
0.5lb Crystal 120
1lb Demerara (flameout)
0.5lb Honey (flameout) - just want to use up

3oz Nugget FWH
1oz Nugget @5
1oz Goldings @5

WLP540 Abbey IV

mash @152F

Dark "Mild", 3 gals
OG: 1.04ish
IBUs: 24ish

runnings from above

1.5oz Willamette @15
2oz Willamette @5
2oz Willame @flameout

Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II

This actually looks really similar to a beer I did not too long ago, although mine had a bit more crystal. Trust me, the partigyle will be plenty roasty (mine actually placed as a Robust Porter in competition.)

oh really? oh well, I'll just call it something else if the partigyle turns out roasty.

I'm having second thoughts on using the abbey yeast. I think it'd be great in this, but not sure if enough will come thru thats its worth making a huge starter of vs just a few packs of S-05. any thoughts?

anyone have any other suggestions for the recipe?

No suggestions, but do tell us how it turns out. I'm interested in doing a partigyle with the big beer being a RIS.

Could always cold steep the roast barley and add it to the ris boil? I've just done that to a Belgian dry stout but with roast barley and chocolate malt cold steep, the aroma of the cold steep was amazing like really strong coffee with some dark chocolate and thick as oil. Mmmm.

anyone have any last minute suggestions? I'm going to pick up the supplies in a couple hours

Back