RIS finished at 1.033...still too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callacave

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just transferred my first RIS to secondary for bulk aging. It was in primary for a month.

For yeast I used 1084 Irish Ale. OG was 1.116, FG is 1.033...ABV 11.1%

This is the biggest beer I've made to date. I tasted during transfer to secondary, but I've had a nasty head cold for a while, so my ability to taste and smell were compromised. Of course I got sweetness with some alcohol heat, but it was suprisingly smooth. It wasn't bad at all for such a young brew.

Just wanted to know peoples experiences with an FG in the low 1.030's on this type of beer. Will this be too sweet? Should I repitch something to bring it down in the 1.020's? IBU's are 86, so I think I've got enough bitterness to back it up.

I'm leaning towards letting it be and in about a year have an awesome RIS. Just would like opinions from all of the awesome people on this forum.

The only way to know is to taste it. From the description, it does sound like it'll have a definite malt presence. Only by tasting it will you find out if it's to your liking.

Age it from where it is. It sounds like you did a great job on a big beer. Next year you'll be enjoying it and blowing your BMC drinking friends away when they taste a real beer.

I made an imperial stout kit from Midwest and it came with champagne yeast, which you pitched before going to secondary. You could try that to lower the FG.

You're at 72% attenuation, and the range for that yeast is 71 - 74%. It's done.

You can avoid this relatively high FG in the future by mashing lower (145-148F) and using a more attenuative strain. In my experience, this helps the drinkability of these huge beers.

You can avoid this relatively high FG in the future by mashing lower (145-148F) and using a more attenuative strain. In my experience, this helps the drinkability of these huge beers.

Don't have my notes on me at the moment, but I believe I did mash at 148. Next time I think I'll try a touch lower.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to leave it alone. Hoping with time the roast character comes to the front and I have a great RIS!

Back