RIP - My brewing hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinostylee

Reaction score
Unfortunately, my 3rd batch turned into another foul concoction . . . I’m convinced it’s the tap water at my apartment complex (used only to sanititze along with iodopher). It comes out brown at first (rust) and tastes awful, but there’s really no getting around using it to sanitize.

So, I begrudgingly give up. It was far too much effort to make myself endure another failure.

If any of you live in the LA area, I will sell you my kit for dirt cheap!!

Hmm, I wouldn't think crappy water would be a problem if only used for sanitation, as long as you're using the proper amount of Iodophor. If you think that's what it is, why don't you buy a filter? You can get those that screw onto the faucet pretty cheap.

What are some of the effects your seeing? I am sure we can help you find the real reason for the defects. Post your flavors, smells, ets on here and we will help you. Whatever you do, dont quit! hell it took me a few more then 3 batches to get it right. Do you do extract, partial, all grain? Post the kit and the procedure, and all you did. If you took the notes.

At least give it one more try with bottled water. Too much iron (and a lot of old piping in the LA area was galvanized iron) can really be bad news.

Why dont you explain to us what you are exactly doing.... the first few batches I did in my college apartment used some pretty crappy water before I used bottled while I was there. It was still very much drinkable. I don't know... I think you should give it another try. This time before you proceed let us help you a bit. The beer that you can make taste just too good to give up:)

One of the original reasons for making beer was to make crappy water drinkable. I wouldn't think the water you use to sanitize would be the problem. Also, how long did you wait before trying your beer? Some batches that don't taste too good after two weeks in bottles will get dramatically better with a little age.

Don't give up now! Many people here are willing to help you.

I agree with all the previous posts.

Don't give up!

Bottled water or an inexpensive water filter may be all that's
holding up your success.

Don't quit. :eek: :eek: My Alaskan water is among the worst in hardness causing a pretty bad smell sometimes. Go to bottled, or install a filter. If your problem is water, tote your own. I live next to an A.F. Base, and although it's clorinated pretty heavy, it makes good beer. Also, you might want to check out a local laundry. They have to filter water for clothes. Maybe they can tap you off a couple picnic jugs full.
Just give it a try:cross:

Come back rhinostylee! Don't give up!

Looks like there are a lot of guys who want to straighten out your teething problems, and that is all they are. The few brews that I have done have not been fantastic, but with practice and some good advice, I know my beer will improve...and so will yours!

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it aint over now..... 'Cause when the going gets tough.....................................the tough get going! Now who's with me? LETS GO!!!!!!!

Seriously, don't quit. I'm expecting my first few batches to come out bad too but I am determined to fund my plan for world domination with my future beer sales. :D

HurricaneFloyd said:
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Err, it was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour.

Man, you are excitable....plans of world domination by beer sales...are you Belgian, do you dress in grey boiler suits, do you have a "mini-me" <raises pinky to corner of mouth> Mwuhahaha! ;)

BlightyBrewer said:
Err, it was the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbour.

Don't stop him... he's on a roll.

-walker

PS: I couldn't tell from your post, but you might have missed that he was quoting John Belushi from National Lampoon's "Animal House" movie.

Walker said:
PS: I couldn't tell from your post, but you might have missed that he was quoting John Belushi from National Lampoon's "Animal House" movie.

I did not know that...I must rent this movie....I feel rather stupid now.....that will teach me for being a smart arse! :eek::eek:

Denny's Brew said:
Hey, as posted in the hobby forum, I have plans for world Domination. That mean you are compitition? What are you GPS coordinates?

Warming up the ionospheric reflex themal blaster ray gun.....

No!! Not the IRTBRG! anything but that - do what he says guys

BlightyBrewer said:
I did not know that...I must rent this movie....I feel rather stupid now.....that will teach me for being a smart arse! :eek::eek:

well, the reason I had trouble telling if you were familiar with the movie oir not is because another guy turns to a third guy while Belushi is ranting and actually says, "I thought the japanese bombed pearl harbor?"

in other words, I thought you were continuing the dialogue from the movie.

The 3rd guy's response to this question was exactly what I posted, "Don't stop him... he's on a roll."

-walker

No worries ian, I have sharks with laser beams!

Walker, stop man, you are just deepening my embarassment! Ah nuts, why didn't I roll with it, I could have got away with it...:eek: :mad:

Hold on a minute...I, and only I, will be conquering the world soon enough. And always remember that nothing can defeat the quad laser!

Did this thread suddenly become the "Short Story" thread without me noticing? Where was the memo? And where is that fuggin' burro?

I really had no intention of hijacking this thread. Yes, my last post was from Animal House. Come to think of it, my very first post had an Austin Powers quote in it..... weird......

My only question now is, What the heck is a gigawatt!?!?!?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Whitay said:
Hold on a minute...I, and only I, will be conquering the world soon enough. And always remember that nothing can defeat the quad laser!

Well the Pluto bomb will take care of that. I have the tractor beam wrangling that sucker towards earth at break neck speeds as we speak.

Meanwhile the burrow having blown up his still, since he was bored with just brewing beer,... ;)

Walker said:
Don't stop him... he's on a roll.

-walker

heheheh, and so were you!

Bring your stuff and brew at a friends house. I'd move to a place with good water before giving up brewing. If you're using bottled water (not distilled) and it still tastes bad, might be a crappy kit to begin with. If you start with good water and sanitze properly, you'll have good beer. There's a lot of knowledge in this forum, these guys are really helpful. Keep trying.

Face it rhinostylee, you f*cked up . . .you trusted us.

That was uncalled for. I'll put myself on secret double probation.

Denny's Brew said:
Well..then he won't mind us hijacking his thread.

And I for one have been out of my flipping mind for quite some time.

Long Live the Burrow!!

As for me...

I am going insane. AND I'M TAKING YOU ALL WITH ME!

.... hmm.... that feels better (every now and then an outbust is just what the doctor ordered you know :D )

Latest posts

Back