Rinsed Yeast Repitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanson16

Reaction score
Here is a pic of some yeast I washed. I want to use it in an IPA (1.058) and realize I will need a starter. I have read many threads about it but am still confused of how big a starter I will need.

It seems like all of the calculators require fairly subjective assumptions that can significantly impact whether your starter is adequate or not.

In my case, it looks like i have roughly 1oz of slurry with about half of the slurry being white yeast cells. As a noob, I am not sure how to estimate the cell count (i estimated 3 billion/ml). My calculations say a 1.75L started will yield 230 billion cells (does not reach the necessary 243 billion/ml). However, if I increase the cell count to 3.5 billion/ml then I have enough cells with a 1.75L starter.

Am I overly worried about getting the proper cell count. My concern is that I have far less than 3 billion/ml and will significantly under pitch. Any guidance is appreciated.

photo (6).JPG

Are you making 5 gallons? If you decanted and pitched the slurry in a 2L starter and put it on a stir plate for 24 hours you should be all set. The viability of the yeast is important and they are probably beat up a bit if you washed them from a prior batch. So far so good. Just grow some more. Are you sure that is only 1oz. The picture must be deceiving. I would guesstimate that you end up with about 100ml's of slurry from a 2L starter. If that is a mason jar then you have quite a bit of yeast.

PaulVikingAles said:
Are you making 5 gallons? If you decanted and pitched the slurry in a 2L starter and put it on a stir plate for 24 hours you should be all set. The viability of the yeast is important and they are probably beat up a bit if you washed them from a prior batch. So far so good. Just grow some more. Are you sure that is only 1oz. The picture must be deceiving. I would guesstimate that you end up with about 100ml's of slurry from a 2L starter. If that is a mason jar then you have quite a bit of yeast.

It is a 6 gallon batch. The picture is deceiving but the measurements indicate it is just 1oz. I don't have a stir plate and only have a half gallon container for starters.

Would it be safer to use two mason jars of washed yeast? I have another one available and could pitch two if it would help.

That is a good amount of yeast but I would be concerned with viability and stress levels. A half gallon is almost 2L so I would probably use 2 mason jars with the thought that your viability is lower.

You could grow more yeast by pitch half of that slurry into your half gallon filled 3/4 with starter wort and grow new yeast with that. You will still have the mason jar with some of the yeast and you will grow a good amount with your jugs. Your yeast have finished growing when your jug is fermenting, about 18-24 hours. Pitch all of that slurry into your 6 gallons, including the mason jar.

I would also invest in a Erlenmeyer Flask so you can measure starters and slurry in ml/L. Invest in a stir plate as well. You can diy one for $40 or less depending on your diy skills. We have a diy section on your website at www.vikingales.com

My rule of thumb is to pitch about a quarter to a third of the cake on the next batch. And if I do it within a month, I see no reason to make a starter.

Looks like you have a lot of healthy yeast.

You can make your own mind up, but when checking Mr. malty (if that is what you are using), I think it way.... way ...... way over estimates the cell loss with storage. I'd just dial it in as though you harvested the slurry yesterday.

Agree with Caldor. If you washed enough then pitch it. 1 mason jar didn't seem like enough but 2 of that size should do it.

Back