Rims Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbrennan10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would like to replace copper threaded tube and element eventually and upgrade power a bit. Mainly posting to get input so i'll know whether to jump if a deal comes along.
Currently element is a 240v 3500 watt running on 120v, so about 900w which is tough for 10 gallon batches, but i am getting better at propane assist. Controller is omron e5cs. System is 120v.

Anyway, I'm most puzzled about the 3 way switch (pump, off, heat & pump) that appears to have four d5-3x10 contact blocks on it. I assume if I go over ten amps on the element i'll have to replace them, or is it element+pump on ten amps?

All input appreciated. I'm getting about a 4 degree temp rise through the rims at mash temps.

Attachments

• 20190105_165538.jpg
    20190105_165538.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Last edited:
I would look into cartridge heaters, longer the better.. the longer contact time on each pass works as good as more power with the added benefit of lower watt density and less denatured enzymes so higher conversion factor.. I use an 1800w element thats 36" long and a stainless 1" pipe rims tube with a large 1" tc for disassembly it check and clean element. the element stays pretty clean because the watt density is so low but I can raise my mash temp almost 3 degrees in a minute at 1.8gpm flow rate and get 91% efficiency on my setup.

Back