rims plugging with grain....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninrugger

Reaction score
We set up a direct fire rims type of system. The mash tun is a blichmann kettle with false bottom. Tube runs out the bottom, through pump, up and back, into the top to cycle the wart. We are having issues with grain,plugging the tube when we first start running the pump. Any suggestions on how to prevent plugging?

Sounds like your false bottom isn't fitting right. Also, don't stir the mash while the pump is running. That always clogs my system.

did you remember the washer around the dip tube? I got a couple very small particles, but nothing that clogged the tube. My crush last night was too fine and I did have to stir it up to unpack the grain bed; after that, everything flowed fine... Need to add rice hulls and bump my crush up a little looser.

How fine are you crushing the grain (mill gap setting)?? If you have grain getting through the false bottom, then it's something you need to address. If everything is fitted 100% correctly, then I would check the mill gap setting. You can also try adding some rice hulls (if you don't already) to the mash and see if that helps. I started adding 4-6oz a few batches ago and the mash drains much easier now. How much I use depends on the size of the grain bill.

I think we figured it out.....after getting rid of the spent grain, we saw that the false bottom doesn't sit flat in the kettle. It has a slight warp to it. Think that's the problem?

Blichmann recommends to wait
10 minutes after dough in to let air out and grain to settle and absorb water.

I think we figured it out.....after getting rid of the spent grain, we saw that the false bottom doesn't sit flat in the kettle. It has a slight warp to it. Think that's the problem?

Are there any gaps around the edge?

I would reach out to Blichmann and ask them directly. IME, they respond pretty quickly to emails about their products and should be able to help you to make it 100% without too much of a hassle.

Yea John B emailed me within of an hour of using their contact tab on their website. It was a Saturday evening too!

Latest posts

Back