Rims pid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have researched a lot and cannot determine based in RIMS, fermenter, keezer, etc feedback what the best choice is for my RIMS setup.

Simply put, I want the controller set up on the MT RIMS. I don't know what good technology is or what is good enough meaning reliable. What is the smartest buy?

What is the current 2015 recommended product? If you have a make and model it would help me a lot.

The other 2 kettles I'm going to pass on a weldless dial thermometer and go digital. All I need it to do is display a current temp and alarm at a set point. No controller function required. Each kettle will have a weldless thermo probe compression fitting.

What is my best option to achieve this?

The goal is to install all 3 digital devices into a single box. It will have a nice look on my propane burner setup somewhat digitized.

Thank you.

The digital thermometer readouts with alarm are about $15 a piece from eBay if you search for them and as far as pids to control a rims tube most here either go with the auber units or the mypin units the auger units cost about twice as much as the mypin units but auber has better support for questions on how to wire it up the mypin units are about $20-25 shipped and work well once you understand how they work but the directions are pretty bad... I used google to wire up my temp probes and got help from here on some other settings.
Whatever pid you purchase be sure to buy one designed to drive an SSR (solid state relay)

If money is not a factor here you can always spend the $800 for a pre wired blichmann rims setup which are nice but honestly its not very practical unless your looking to blow money.

Brewhardware.com has some good deals on the rims enclosures and most use a straight longer 5500w 240v heating element at 120v with equals about 1300w of heating power with almost 0 chance of being able to scorch any wort if there's a problem.

I am not sure which auber units but the mypin ta4/ ta7 or better yet td4 - SSR or snr model (example td4-snr) I use 3 of these in my panel. The ta7 is a bit bigger and for a rims it would work just as well. The td4 series has manual mode which is best for a boil kettle application.
Just make sure whatever model you get, that its designed to drive an SSR and not a relay.
You will want to purchase a pt100 sensor... They sell for about $6 for the ones without the detachable cable at the sensor end the other "deluxe" versions with the detachable plug at the sensor are on eBay for about $20 with shipping. All together you can pick up the pid ,SSR and sensor for about $35 shipped.

Most folks who use an Auber model use the SYL-2352.

P.S. Looking at the SYL-2372, it has a built-in SSR that is only rated for 2A, so it is not particularly useful in a brewing application.

Ok so I have it narrowed down to the MYPIN TA4 SSR. I know PT100 was stated but what requirements are there?

This will thread into my Brew Hardware RIMS tube. Is the one by AGPTEK adequate for this application? Are there recommended alternatives preferably from Amazon.

This is all I have remaining before placing my order.

Apgtek is the my pin... for some reason they are sold under that name too... just stick with an"-ssr" or "snr" model and your good.

Back