RIMS and HERMS systems in same brewhouse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I am planning to upgrade my brewhouse from 5 gal batches using propane up to 10 gal batches using electric, one tier - 3 x 20 Gal vessels.
I will initially use a HERMS system but I was thinking to use also a RIMS system after I master my new setup.
The HERMS system is very gentle with the wort and the risk for scorching is zero, but is not really good for stepped mashing that I like to do when brewing some belgian or bavarian beers.
Let's say in those cases were I want a stepped mashing, I would use my HERMS for strike water and dough in, then I would switch to my RIMS for stepped mashing, while my HLT will increase its temp for sparging/mash out.
Once the stepped mashing is completed using the RIMS, I would switch back to the HERMS sparging.
Does this plan make sense to you?

With a correct RIMS setup there is almost no risk of scorching. In my hundreds of hours of research, there are three issues that result scorching with a RIMS setup. First is using the wrong type of heating element. ULWD element is the only way to RIMS. Some use LWD and have not had scorching but some have. Second is mounting the RIMS tube horizontally. I believe the overwhelming majority of RIMSers recommend the tube be mounted vertically. Thirds is turning off the pump and allowing proteins and husk materials to settle on top of the element. The second and third could be combined. If you do mount the RIMS tube horizontally, do not ever turn off the pump. Even if you mount the tube vertically, I still wouldn't turn off the pump.
If it were me, I would just run RIMs. The cost and headache of building a HERMS and RIMS is not worth it.

I currently run a 3 vessel HERMS. I was deathly afraid of scorching when I built my setup. If I had to do it over again, I for sure would build a RIMS over the HERMS. The scorching issues is not an issue if the RIMS is right.

Latest posts

Back