rice malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used the pale rice malt from Eckert, only the specialty rice malts.

The crystal rice malt has aromas of rasins and figs, it is very nice at a rate of 1.5 to 2 lb per 5 gal batch.

James Brown is my favorite, it has a complex malty aroma and is now my go to malt to add a little color and charicter to IPA, amber, or brown ales. I will continue to add between 4 and 16 oz of this to nearly all of my beers this year.

The dark rice is also nice, I used some in a brown ale (Allong with some crystal and James brown) and the color and aroma was just right.

I have used the medium and dark millet malts from Grouse, and I prefer The James Brown and Dark rice from Eckert when trying to add a bit of color and moderately roasty charicter.

I also like that adding specialty rice malts also results in adding allot of rice hulls, it makes a nice grain bed and makes sparging easier.

I have not used the pale rice malt from Eckert, only the specialty rice malts.

The crystal rice malt has aromas of rasins and figs, it is very nice at a rate of 1.5 to 2 lb per 5 gal batch.

James Brown is my favorite, it has a complex malty aroma and is now my go to malt to add a little color and charicter to IPA, amber, or brown ales. I will continue to add between 4 and 16 oz of this to nearly all of my beers this year.

The dark rice is also nice, I used some in a brown ale (Allong with some crystal and James brown) and the color and aroma was just right.

I have used the medium and dark millet malts from Grouse, and I prefer The James Brown and Dark rice from Eckert when trying to add a bit of color and moderately roasty charicter.

I also like that adding specialty rice malts also results in adding allot of rice hulls, it makes a nice grain bed and makes sparging easier.

I find the exact same things. Unfortunately, the pale malt doesn't convert vary well. I like their biscuit a lot. My new technique is grouse pale millet for the base and all Eckert rice malt for the specialty.

I'm glad you guys like my colored malts. No surprise that the pale malt is not too popular. The enzyme activity is less than desirable, don't I know! I have mentioned it before...I can't wait for the day that some breeding work is done on rice for maltability! There is at least one new outlet for my malts: http://www.glutenfreehomebrewing.org/
A few other homebrew shops have expressed interest, but have not ordered any yet.

Happy holidays!

Ricemaltster,

I do not see the low enzyme activity as a big problem. Suplementing a mash with amylase is cheap and effective.

To be honest, I dont use the rice pale malt because of the price point (this is not meant to be a complaint, please take it as unsoliceted market info...I sincerly want you to be wildly sucessfull in this endeavor).

I am a plant breeder by trade, and I work on many hobby breeding projects. I woud be happy to talk with you sometime about a rice breeding project if you are serious about it. A good friend of mine breeds rice (and is a homebrewer), he may be intrested as well.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk,

Hey Legume,

Constructive criticism well taken. I now have a number of malting runs that I can compare actual costs. If I can find some cost savings, I will definitely be looking to pass that on to the retailers and hopefully to the end consumers.

Ricemaltster

Back