Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My boss at my last job used to say "...and when you're done that...". For ****'s sake, it's "...when you're done WITH that..."! Maybe it's a North-Easterner thing? He was from MA.

"Im just sayin"

................well of course you are, you dip **** piece of crap motherphucker...I didn't think you were conveying thoughts by telepathy with that underdeveloped, inbred brain of yours...........

(;))

"You know" drives me batty. Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

"So I have this thing on my penis, you know."

No, I don't and I don't need to know about. STFU on both counts.

Effects vs affects. Ugh. I still have pains when I read it used incorrectly. Although, I pain myself trying to use them properly on occasion.

Accept vs except. People are really bad about using these properly. Just because they almost sound the same without proper annunciation doesn't mean that they are.

The majority of the problems in the entire thread are the result of the typed word reflecting a lack of writing critique in school or at the workplace.

I thinks America's Sweetheart Sarah Palin (;)) brought this one to my attention: "also too".

As in, "I have a Stout in my carboy, also too, I have an IPA in my primary."

"Im just sayin"

................well of course you are, you dip **** piece of crap motherphucker...I didn't think you were conveying thoughts by telepathy with that underdeveloped, inbred brain of yours...........

(;))

"You know" drives me batty. Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

"So I have this thing on my penis, you know."

No, I don't and I don't need to know about. STFU on both counts.

I was going to post both of these!

How about a combonation of the two: "You know what I'm sayin"

This usually follows a completly simple, or stupid, statement. "I like bananas, you kow what I'm sayin". Yes you simpleton, I know what you are saying.

The only problem is, is that....

Too many "is"s. Just use one "is" please.

I also like:

"This thing needs fixed..."

Instead of:

"This thing needs to be fixed..."

You can't just drop the "to be" because you're lazy.

I went round and around with my advisor years ago on my master's thesis with the two words accept and except. Unfortunately for him, I had it correct! Guess my minor in English got used for something!

But yes, when I read a letter from an organization or company that has NOT been properly "proofed" by someone actually familiar with the language, and I find glaring errors in grammar and/or spelling, my opinion of the sender immediately goes into the garbage can. You know what I'm sayin'?

glenn514:mug:

Two of mine are, "where are you at?" Really, and it's even promoted by a phone company.

The other one is first annual, if it's the first one it can't be an annual event until the second one occures.

Two of mine are, "where are you at?" Really, and it's even promoted by a phone company.

The other one is first annual, if it's the first one it can't be an annual event until the second one occures.

it's "where you at?"

and it certainly can be an annual if you only have one a year.

Using got inappropriately.

I got to use my carboy today.

I got to clean my carboy.

My carboy got used for something.

etc...

Mixing up "respectively" and "respectfully"...

"at about"...i.e. "Come to our house at about 8PM"

"Please prepay in advance"....stickers on gas pumps

This one is more about inaccurate pronunciation -- try saying the following:

"I certainly will be merry when I marry Mary."

Many, many people pronounce the underlined words the same, so that you wind up with the auditory equivalent of Mary Christmas, Just Maryed, and Mary Queen of Scots.

Surprised that no one has mentioned the egregious and ubiquitous misuse of the first person personal pronoun. Several entire generations, it seems, are scared to death of using the word "me," even when used as the object of a sentence. You wouldn't say, "Give all your beer to I" so why would you say "Submit your beer requests to Bob and I" ? And no, "myself" is not an acceptable substitution, unless "I" was used earlier in the sentence.

The last sentence of the usage discussion says it all.

THANK YOU.

But it clearly states that it IS a word. And that it's been around for almost 100 years.

.......It IS a word! But it is a double-negative!! Let's look!

IRRE - meaning : NOT or "reverse whatever follows" as in:

irreverent - not reverent
irreversible - not reversible
irrelevant - not relevant

LESS also meaning "NOT"..........

irregardless......hmmm....let's see: NOT regardless??????

SO.......the double negative irregardless means REGARDFUL!!!!!! the OPPOSITE of what 99% of the dipsh!ts that use it mean.

Irregardless is as much a word as irreversibleless would be if millions of people who didn't know any better used it.

HA! I bet you find "gangsta", "dis", and "supercalifragelistic expialidocious" in there too.

THANK YOU.

.......It IS a word! But it is a double-negative!! Let's look!

IRRE - meaning : NOT or "reverse whatever follows" as in:

irreverent - not reverent
irreversible - not reversible
irrelevant - not relevant

LESS also meaning "NOT"..........

irregardless......hmmm....let's see: NOT regardless??????

SO.......the double negative irregardless means REGARDFUL!!!!!! the OPPOSITE of what 99% of the dipsh!ts that use it mean.

Irregardless is as much a word as irreversibleless would be if millions of people who didn't know any better used it.

HA! I bet you find "gangsta", "dis", and "supercalifragelistic expialidocious" in there too.

Nobody stated anything about it's usage. The argument was that it wasn't a word.

Also, note that I didn't use the "whore" dictionary nor the "urban dictionary" that so many people turn to in order to defend their improper vocabulary.

Anyway, :mug:

Back