Rhetorical Disfluencies that I Hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, yeah, and then there's "archetypical" and "prototypical"! Not to mention "penultimate"... chuckling...

"For all intensive purposes" instead of "intents and purposes."

That one just literally drives me crazy.:)

Just about everything in Webster's dictionary pisses me off. Multiple acceptable spellings for just about anything under the sun. I would take an axe (Ax) to that book.

I am also not quite sure if it's a regional thing or what but a large amount of family from Upstate NY say "onbelievable". Not sure if it counts or not. But I know many people who say it.
A lot of upstaters, at least those I've met, love "pritnear." Makes me nuts.

I have many that are grating to me. It must be because I'm a writer, specifically a sports writer so these are up there:

"bottom line"
"it is what it is" (no ****, thanks for pointing that out)
"we have to play a perfect football game" -- makes sense given that you're playing football and not baseball
"that's a great golf shot" -- golf commentators say this constantly. What, is he supposed to hit a jump shot instead?

"For all intensive purposes" instead of "intents and purposes."

That one just literally drives me crazy.:)

Damn! I thought I had a good one to add to the list. Here's a few annoyances from my ****** boss:

He likes to refer to a "drawer" (as in desk drawer) as a "drawww". Stupid, and it drives me nuts.

Batteries are pronounced by him as "battries". Also f*cking stupid. He's trying to convince me he was brought up speaking that way, even though me and his own father rip on him for it.

I realize that in certain parts of the country those words are routinely pronounced the way he does, but not in Northeastern NY.
He might as well say "warsh" instead of "wash". (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

He uses the word "caveat" a lot, but insists that it's pronounced "caveet". Effing retard.

Last but not least, he likes to pronounce the word "bidet" (you know, the european butt-washer) the way it is written. What a jackass.

I should be the boss.

How about the phrase, "I don't disagree.". Feels a bit passive aggressive, but I can see it makes sense in very rare circumstances.

"irregardless" - You hear news people and politicians say this. It's "regardless". Not IRregardless

+1,000,000 I hate this one!!!!!

How bout probly instead of probably
or
fith instead of fifth.

i heart this thread

I love you all. See my previous rants on irregardless......

NOTATED. (please stand back)

UNLESS SOMETHING IS IN DIFFERENT TEXT AND IN THE MARGIN OR EXTREME BOTTOM OF THE PAGE........IT IS PHUCKING NOTED.

I hear otherwise intelligent ******** use this one.

That must be why it bothers me SO freaking much........it is spreading like MINT in an otherwise nice garden.

I'll keep it going....

It is not an "ATM machine" - that would make it an "automated teller machine machine".
It is not a "LCD display" - that would make it a "liquid crystal display display".
It is not a "DVD disk" - that would make it a "digital versatile disk disk" or a "digital video disk disk".

CD-ROM disk , PIN number, VIN number, UPC code.... etc, etc.

Using ironic when they don't know the definition.

Using decimate when they don't know the definition.

I'll keep it going....

It is not an "ATM machine" - that would make it an "automated teller machine machine".
It is not a "LCD display" - that would make it a "liquid crystal display display".
It is not a "DVD disk" - that would make it a "digital versatile disk disk" or a "digital video disk disk".

CD-ROM disk , PIN number, VIN number, UPC code.... etc, etc.

"8 PM at night" or "10 AM in the morning" Feck off, you *******! Learn how to talk real good, irregardless of your upbringing. I ain't no idjit!

"labtop" computer... okay you don't deserve one if you call it that.

We had one of our computer students ask if we had any spare onboard NICs in stock after we suggested one might be bad.... sigh

I hate people using text slang to customers/clients when they typed it on computer. On a QWERTY keyboard is it really that much easier to type B4 rather than before or Tx instead of thanks. Go screw yourself cause you either come off as an ass or a 13 year old tween to the customer.

"labtop" computer... okay you don't deserve one if you call it that.

We had one of our computer students ask if we had any spare onboard NICs in stock after we suggested one might be bad.... sigh

To be fair they aren't even called laptops anymore. After several cases of crotch burning the preferred nomenclature is notebook (or netbook if it's tiny).

Living in the south (south of I-80 that is) we get a lot of rednecks.
Vehicle > Vee-hickle
Cement > See-ment
Wash > Warsh

As a girl from Brooklyn used to say:
orange > are-ange
drawer > draw

I hate text slang, period. I'm so nerdy that I have to Google it to see what some of them mean. Yeah, I'm effing old! Wait, is 39 old?!?

"Absorkee" instead of Absaroka, it's a town in MT & it's spelled Absaroka, it's NOT POSSIBLE to get the pronunciation of "absorkee" from the correct spelling.

"Reconnize" instead of recognize.

"Artic" instead of Arctic.

"Hunnert" instead of hundred.

"Centrithical" instead of centrifugal.

"Innit" instead of isn't it.

"Artic" instead of Arctic.

I remember being taught at school when I was about 9 years old that it was Arctic when referring to the southern polar region, and artic when referring to the north.....A couple of years ago, I came to realise that some teachers are dickwads. However, that piece of "wisdom" stayed with me until just a couple of years ago. My, how foolish I felt having got it wrong all those years. :(

I remember being taught at school when I was about 9 years old that it was Arctic when referring to the southern polar region, and artic when referring to the north.....A couple of years ago, I came to realise that some teachers are dickwads. However, that piece of "wisdom" stayed with me until just a couple of years ago. My, how foolish I felt having got it wrong all those years. :(

Ahhh the seed of your educatorial disdainmentation!!!!!

I seethe when I see "should of" when someone means "should have" or "should've."

This one makes me want to throw desks at my students. I had to come out of lurk mode just to say so. :eek:

I seethe when I see "should of" when someone means "should have" or "should've."

This one makes me want to throw desks at my students. I had to come out of lurk mode just to say so. :eek:

I hate it when people lurk, and then just post one snobbish THING!!!!!lol.

:mug:

That is a good one......but NO, notated is still the worst. Listen for it!

Latest posts

Back