Reversing oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmpower

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch that long story short got oxidized. Im not going to throw it out but i was wondering if there is anything i can do? Perhaps ferment it some more?

There really isn't a good fix for oxidation. If it just happened (like during racking), one crushed campden tablet dissolved in a little water per gallon can be added. The sulfite binds to the cider so that oxygen can't. If it's already showing visible signs of oxidation, though, like brownish color or poor taste, it's too late.

Yes, camden tablets are the only fix but will only correct a small amount of oxidation. Acetaldehyde, that nail polish remover smell, is the main culprit in oxidation, and binds very strongly to the so2 in camden tablets. It takes a few days to work fully. The more oxidation, the more so2 is needed but in my experience a badly oxidised cider is beyond repair.

Back