Reverse recipe lookup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
Is there anywhere I can use ingredients to search for recipes? I know this exists for cooking. I'd like to use up some aging hops and also not make another trip to the LHBS. Thanks

Well, I know in Beersmith you can search recipe containing certain ingredients and you can download recipes for beersmith online too. Might be a bit of a bother.

Personally, I would recommend simply picking the hops you want to use and pick the recipe of the beer style you want to drink, and then fit the IBUs of those hops to match the recipe you pick. It will be easier than searching for a recipe that already has that hop in it.

Fact is, people substitute various hops in recipes all the time. I mean, ALL THE TIME. Because hops are often such a large part of the flavor of beer and people have their favorites.

Thanks Homercidal. I was just going to do a little mixing and matching as you have recommended. I will feel much better about it now with your blessing.

No problem. There are lots of resources out there for figuring out how much of which hop to use. You might want to look for hop characteristics in a search and find some charts. Until you try some for yourself you won't know which ones you like in certain beers.

I tend to prefer the American style hops with a bit of citrus in my IPAs.

Latest posts

Back