Reusing washed yeast quantity question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
I plan on washing yeast from my current batch for the 1st time. It is Wyeast 1056 and plan on filling 4 pint mason jars. How much of this should be used to pitch to the next batch? 5 gallon batches ... Thanks

This isn't very scientific, but I've heard that a decent repitch rate is to repitch roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the cake from the previous batch.

Are you washing or just harvesting the yeast? I harvest my yeast and use about 1/2 pint jar for 5 gallon batch. I boil a quart or so of water and when it cools I add it to the trub in the carboy. Swirl it around and fill the pint jars to the top. After a while in the fridge the yeast settles to the bottom. Decant the top liquid and pitch into new batch. I don't measure other then eyeball it.

I plan on doing similar to what you describe. So about 1/2 pint of yeast will do the trick? Also would it be ok if the yeast sits in the pint mason jars for a few weeks?

I've found that leaving a little bit of beer behind when transferring the finished beer, swirling it up with the yeast, and then simply pouring out 16 oz into a sanitized jar works best. Then when I'm ready to use it I'll take it out of the refrigerator, allow it to warm up to room temperature, and then make a vitality starter a minimum of four hours prior to the time I think I will need to pitch it.

Thanks, would it still be good if stored in fridge for a few weeks?

Yup, youll want to store it in a sterilized (boiled and cooled) jar, make sure to leave the lid a loose enough to deal with temp/off gassing for a few days so you dont end up with a stuck lid

And for sure leave it in the fridge to preserve the yeast!

Read the yeast washing thread. It answered this for you.

It's easier to harvest from starters.

Back