Reusing Slurry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobdee

Reaction score
Is it better to slightly under pitch your initial batch if you plan on reusing slurry for future batches? I was thinking maybe its better to under pitch slightly so the yeast reproduces more younger healthier yeast? Or does under pitching stress the yeast and make them less healthy?

Does following Mr Malty or other calculators take this into effect or are they just looking for optimal numbers?

I don't mind a little longer lag time if the yeast is busy making more healthy babies.

Is it better to slightly under pitch your initial batch if you plan on reusing slurry for future batches? I was thinking maybe its better to under pitch slightly so the yeast reproduces more younger healthier yeast? Or does under pitching stress the yeast and make them less healthy?

Does following Mr Malty or other calculators take this into effect or are they just looking for optimal numbers?

I don't mind a little longer lag time if the yeast is busy making more healthy babies.

I would suggest using a normal pitching rate and aerate more than normal to get the healthiest yeast at the end. If you are using O2, give it a dose at pitching and another half dose a few hours before you expect to see signs of fermentation. Cell count after fermentation is not too important as you will have more than enough for the next batch. Health, however, is very important. For propagation a higher pitching rate is recommended compared to fermentation pitching rates.

Thanks, that makes sense. I do use pure O2 and have heard about giving a second dose about 12 hours after pitching mostly for bigger beers. I'm a little afraid of over aerating though, maybe that's not as big a deal as I've read?

Thanks, that makes sense. I do use pure O2 and have heard about giving a second dose about 12 hours after pitching mostly for bigger beers. I'm a little afraid of over aerating though, maybe that's not as big a deal as I've read?

While over aeration is possible with pure O2, big beers like this are different beast. The higher the gravity the more insoluble the gas. Unless you have a huge air space the wort will over foam before you can over oxygenate. And be careful if you give it a second dose, the foam will be much worse.

Latest posts

Back