Reusing Beau's (Ottawa) beer bottles...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Tried to cap some Beau's bottles for reuse with my cider. No luck getting a cap on with my red baron capper...

Here's a pic of the tops:

And the caps...Brewer's Best caps have 19's on them, Beau's have 23...does that mean something? To my untrained eye and relative newness to this great hobby, they look about the same size...

Want so badly to use these bottles...am I using the wrong sized caps? Would a floor capper get a standard cap on?

To further add to the mystery, tried again to cap with my red baron without success...UNTIL I uncapped another bottle and used a crimped cap that I pushed on and seemed to be able to seal...

Wonder why...

And how do I check for a good seal?

The issue is the lip doesn't grab properly with a hand capper, it's too tall to line up with the metal "wings" -- they're still standard US crimp caps, though. I use an old bench capper for bottling in Beau's bottles (which are great -- the right size, sturdy, and the beer inside is excellent.)

Tried to cap some Beau's bottles for reuse with my cider. No luck getting a cap on with my red baron capper...

Here's a pic of the tops:

And the caps...Brewer's Best caps have 19's on them, Beau's have 23...does that mean something? To my untrained eye and relative newness to this great hobby, they look about the same size...

Want so badly to use these bottles...am I using the wrong sized caps? Would a floor capper get a standard cap on?

I tried the same thing this weekend. One of the local shops (Peluso) sells empties so I got 2 cases of empty Beaus, cleaned and sanitized them only to find that the bottle cap size doesnt work and that my red baron wouldnt fit the cap all the way (it wouldnt crimp)

Any suggestions?

Not sure you can do anything with that capper. The neck just doesn't give you anything for the capper to pull the cap down with. I've bottled in Beau's bottles with no problem, but always use a stand capper. Standard cap size worked fine.

@geordan hit the nail, you need a bench capper to do it smoothly. What I did was basically roll my capper around the edges with good luck. Not ideal but it works

Tried it with a Bench capper this weekend. Works perfect. Peluso in Montreal sells empties at the refund price, just wash them out. Found a bunch of cigarette butts in a few of them. Not fun when soaking the labels off when there are a few butts floating in the sink

After my first bottle purchase at our Brew store I started collecting 600ml Beaus bottles. They are plentiful in Ontario. Before I got to the priming stage I thought I should try a test run on capping. Sure enough my hand capper would not work. I ordered a bench capper and will be good to go this weekend.
Good to know others are having success using Beaus Bottles

Back