reusing 5 gallon whiskey barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
Im finishing a porter im aging in a 5 gallon rye whiskey barrel. Im doing a short term age (also known as ‘resting’ i think?) and plan to only do about 3 weeks before kegging. Im planning to make a big bad stout in a few months and want to see what i should do to clean and help preserve the barrel between batches.

If i had to guess, im thinking I’ll need to wash out the barrel, sanitize with some hot water, maybe throw a little whiskey in it, and seal up again.

Wash it with hot water until it runs clear, and store it closed with some whiskey in it. Give it a turn every week or so.

For what it is worth, that was my procedure with my five gallon whiskey barrel, and I am on my third use. I think it is fairly neutral now, but I did get some nice flavors on my second use.

Last edited:
Rinse it well and let it soak with a metabisulfite solution to kill anything that might still be in there. then get a handle or two of the crappiest bourbon you can (heaven hill plastic handles are like 10 bucks).

Depends on how long you'll have it empty between batches. I (for now) use a no-chemical approach just for simplicity's sake: after emptying, rinse with water, store with a cheap handle of spirit of choice, and rotate frequently to keep the inner walls hydrated. I'll only consider using something like MBS if I start seeing some growth. I would just rather avoid that, if possible, to make clearing it for future batches easier.

Check this; great info.
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Barrel#Storage

thanks for the info. the barrel was an impulse buy and didn't realize how much work it would be and that it can only be used a few times. gonna do a big ass imperial stout next time to make the most of it before the flavors start to fade too much.

thanks for the info. the barrel was an impulse buy and didn't realize how much work it would be and that it can only be used a few times. gonna do a big ass imperial stout next time to make the most of it before the flavors start to fade too much.
Wait, what? Only used a few times? Who told you that?

Latest posts

Back