Return after 10 year hiatus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devbrew

Reaction score
Heyo,

Wow, I just realized that it's been a full decade since I brewed my last batch! I had always meant to start up again...but didn't. I saw a "How-to" on Hulu last week that finally shook me out of my self-imposed exile. I went into the garage and pulled out all of my old equipment, cleaned everything up and plan on going to a shop this weekend to get a recipe kit.

I'm CA in the San Gabriel Valley. Brewer's Rendezvous in Downey used to be the closest shop to me, but it looks like they're closed (too bad, I remember the owner being a really cool dude.) Looks like my new closest option is Stein Fillers in Long Beach. I've seen them mentioned on this site a time or two so it seems like they're a good bet, but their website is lacking. Back in the day I visited Culver City Brew Supply and the Home Beer, Wine and Cheesemaking shop. I remember them being quality places, but they are quite a drive away!

Anyway, I'm excited to start my first brew of the 21st century.

-Dev

Welcome back, there are many excellent suppliers online these days. San Gabriel Valley covers a rather large area, but if you are near the west side you might consider a road trip to visit the Maltose Falcons

Welcome back! Your story is a lot like mine. Don't worry, it's a lot like riding a bike - it'll all come back to you once you brew your first batch. I did my first and second batches, then went back to college and didn't brew again for 18 years! Been at it now for the last 12 years.

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm glad to see this is such a friendly place. I actually work in Burbank so that makes the Maltese Falcons in Woodland Hills and the Culver City shops not that far mile-wise...but in LA traffic they are probably both an hour and half a way. ;) I will eventually visit both, however, because I do remember them being well-stocked and the people there were very nice (at both.)

Welcome to BHT, Dev.

I gotta think there is something to you than closer than SF. This is where I get my stuff, but it's only a 10-15 drive for me.

I made it to Stein Fillers yesterday and picked up their "Nutty Brown Ale" recipe kit. I brewed it today.

I think I was a little over-stressed about sanitizing everything (which I also used to do back in the day) but it was fun and I'm looking forward to tasting the results of my efforts.

Also, I used DeathBrewer's process which seems like a good, straight-forward method.

I look forward to browsing through the forum for ideas and inspiration.

-Dev

Welcome to HBT! I've been taking a break too. Year working as a contractor and year serving with military in Iraq. Bet its good to be brewin again?

I wanted to follow up with the results of my first batch. I only did a primary fermentation for three weeks. I was good and didn't peek or obsess over the bubbles. I bottled two weeks ago and last night cracked one open. The beer has a nice dark color and is well carbonated. After pouring, it had a nice thick head. It's supposed to be a Newcastle-type clone but I also detect a slight "Guiness" in there. I'm very pleased with the results. I split the batch between 12oz glass bottles and 32oz Mr Beer plastic bottles. I'm interested to see if the 32oz bottles are well carbonated and if there is any noticeable difference in character.

5026_1074878674315_1296645487_30185555_1695963_n.jpg

Now on to the Hefeweizen!

-Dev

Back