Resurrection of 777

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm absolutely brewing this as soon as I can. It's slotted in after som bottling and a batch of low ABV pale ale. Should be 3 weeks out... Maybe Golden Week* brew #1.

*Golden Week is a week long holiday for Japanese companys. Everyone is on vacation so traveling sucks... brewing is great.

At the risk of falling flat on my face in a public way, this is going to by my first AG and is slated for tomorrow AM.

ETA: Solo and without a net.

Mine spend a week in the secondary while I was gone and then I dry hopped when I got home so it's still sitting in the carboy. This is going to be a good one! I'm dryhopping with cascade (I am stuck in a cascade rut- I love them!) and the smell is awesome.

Im brewing this Saturday. All Grain..10 gallon batch. Will order the goods tomorrow. I live 200 miles from the nearest brew shop.

This will be my first brew of the year. Too damn cold otherwise up here in northern Minnesota.

I hope to have this ready for my sisters wedding in early June.

Ill post results as I have them...thanks for the recipe.

MNBugeater

I made a 2 liter starter last night, and I'm picking up the rest of the ingredients tonight or tomorrow. It should be a great day for brewing on Sunday! Near 70* and sunny!

Just finished brewing mine an hour or so ago. My efficiency runs higher, so I just made 5.5 gallons from the same bill. I ended up with an OG of 1.071. The color is a nice dark gold and the hop flavor and aroma is amazing. Mine will be dry hopped with 1 oz Columbus, 0.5 oz Cascade and 0.5 oz Amarillo. I can't wait for this one to be ready!

Okay I'm brewing this next week. I'll order the rye tomorrow-ish. But I won't be able to get the 007 yeast. So I'm splitting the batch, 1/2 is geting WHite Labs California V and the other half Wyeast Canadian-Belgian Unibroue yeast (if everything is still alive after it's intercontinental journey, that is).

DAMN!

Finally got this brewed today... was going great... remembered the 5.2 Buffer, remembered the Moss.... beautiful weather...

59% efficiencty... :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

Only got 4.5 gallons out of the keggle (maybe even a touch less), only hit 1.063.

I think I'm losing a LOT more water to the grains than I am accounting for. I seemed to be light on volume going into the keggle, but didn't know for sure since the sightglass isn't on yet. I mashed in with 4.5 gallons, sparged with a total of another 4.25 gallon. I was expecting to lost about a gallon and a quarter, gallon and a half to the grains, I'm thinking it was a bit more than that.

Oh, and the hopstopper was a complete failure, so I ended up siphoning into the fermenter, including most of the hops and break gunk. Grr...

I brewed this today with my Dad and Brother - they wanted to see the brewing process. The starter I made Thursday night was a dud - the OG of that starter didn't drop at ALL! This morning I went to a nearby (but not my usual Marlborough location) hbs to get some more WLP007. No time for another starter, obviously...

Went fine, but got crappy OG - only 1.063. I need to work on my technique and water measuring to figure my actual efficiency. I collected about 7 gal wort, boiled down to about 6 gallons, and ended up with about 5 gallons in the fermenter. Lot's of hop crap in the bottom of the kettle.

the_bird said:
HEY, that sounds familiar! :D
Yeah, I saw you got the same. I usually will add an extra pound of base malt to any recipe and come close to the OG of any given recipe - but this time I seem to be way off - and I didn't have room for an extra # of grain this time.
I don't know exactly what it is that I am doing poorly, maybe just collecting too much wort to begin with. Maybe I'll cut that down on the next brew by 1/2 or 3/4 gallon or so, and see what happens. I like to collect a little extra to leave all the crap behind in the kettle (I know, I'm leaving sugar too) - I guess I'll either have to put it into primary and let it settle or just end up with a smaller yeild.

One of these months I'll have to join you for one of the gatherings to see how everyone else does it.

OK - I'm a little confused - according to BP's recipe, the OG should be 1.070 - since he is the man, I assumed that was correct - but using the Tastybrew calculator

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/gravity.html

with a 70% brewhouse efficiency plugged in, the OG should be 1.059. I got 1.063, a 74.5% efficiency, not all that bad.

Is there somethign wrong with my calculations on tastybrew, or is there maybe sometihng wrong with BP's original posted recipe? I know BP brews much larger batches, so maybe something didn't calculate out.

BTW, my wort is fermenting away happily even though I didn't make a starter (my original starter did not work).

MA_Brewer said:
OK - I'm a little confused - according to BP's recipe, the OG should be 1.070 - since he is the man, I assumed that was correct - but using the Tastybrew calculator

with a 70% brewhouse efficiency plugged in, the OG should be 1.059. I got 1.063, a 74.5% efficiency, not all that bad.

Is there somethign wrong with my calculations on tastybrew, or is there maybe sometihng wrong with BP's original posted recipe? I know BP brews much larger batches, so maybe something didn't calculate out.

BTW, my wort is fermenting away happily even though I didn't make a starter (my original starter did not work).

With Beersmith and 72% efficiency, it comes out to 1.070. unfortuneately, I got low effiiency on this one, too- I blame the rye because I can't blame myself! I only got 68%, but I actually didn't use enough sparge water due to absorption and ended up 1/2 gallon short in my brewpot. I added a bit of water- so that takes me to 68% efficiency.

Edit- I'm bottling this tomorrow!

I had to get the blow off out on this one. I checked the fermenter yesterday to find the airlock had been blown off and the lid of the bucket was covered with a mound of beery, yeasty, hop residuey sludge. As of this morning the blow off had subsided, but the bubbling was still constant.

MA_Brewer said:

If you plug the recipe into Beersmith without the rye and at 70% efficiency, it calcs out to 1.058. I'm betting tastybrew isn't accounting for the rye at all.

the_bird said:
If you plug the recipe into Beersmith without the rye and at 70% efficiency, it calcs out to 1.058. I'm betting tastybrew isn't accounting for the rye at all.
Too bad- I liked my 74% better. Oh well...:p

The recipe is straight forward from ProMash and does include the rye in the calculations. My batch hit 1.075.

This raises an interesting issue. I have calibrated my system's efficiency based on my results compared to ProMash. So it is only reasonable to assume I will get what I expect using that software an my system. But it does not mean that others will get the same results. It could be that according to BeerSmith, or whatever other software, I am getting 85% effeciency, even though according to my ProMash I am only getting 70%.

Does that make sense? It would explain the variation out there. What about any of you out there who use ProMash and have based their effeciencies of that program. How are your results?

Just kegged this beast. I did the rye version but no dry hopping. 2 weeks in fermenter, 2 weeks clearing. I'll give it a few days at room temp then chill and carb it slow. It went from 70 to 17 so that's almost 7% and great body. Not too bitter but an excellent balance with radical hop notes in the finish. I used Columbus, Amarillo, Cascade. Once it's kegged, it can only get better (warm and flat now).

Thanks BP for another winning recipe! :mug:

My OG was 1.071 with efficiency of about 81%. Blowoff has subsided, but it's still bubbling constantly. I'm going to let it sit in the primary till next weekend and then transfer and dry hop.

OK - so I downloaded a copy of BeerSmith (So far I like it, but we'll save that for another thread) and I put in the recipe, and adjust for my water volumes - and I end up with a 71% efficiency and a target OG of 1.062. I guess I didn't do so badly afterall.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Last Friday, Cheese and I had a bottle of the one I brewed. It's still another week or so away from true perfection, but it was damn good! This one's a keeper, BP!
:ban:

Well, I broke one open tonight, only 8 days in the bottle. But I couldn't wait- it kept calling me and calling me. Wow- it's good! I'm sending one for a beerswap deal, and the rest are MINE, all MINE! I'll have to wait another week or three, and then hide them in my new dorm fridge. The problem- I think it will be gone by 777.

My OG was 70. I don't know what efficiency is or how to calculate it, but one day I will learn. Had to use a plastic bucket as a primary since all the carboys are full :D.
The wife had another late night, so I snuck the brew in :ban: . Slinked under the covers around midnight....draggin at work!

Here's my version of 777. I modified it to 5 1/2 gallons and I had to use malted rye because my LHBS didn't have any flaked. I also substituted Nugget for the Columbus as they were out of that as well. I went with the Safale US-56 mainly because of the ease of use. I'll be brewing Monday.:ban:

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.50
Anticipated OG: 1.071 Plato: 17.18
Anticipated SRM: 6.3
Anticipated IBU: 56.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 100 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
77.6 11.25 lbs. American 2-row America 1.037 2
17.2 2.50 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
5.2 0.75 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Nugget Whole 13.00 24.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Nugget Whole 13.00 18.2 40 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 9.00 8.5 30 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 2.1 10 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 3.6 5 min.
0.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 9.00 0.0 0 min.
2.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.80 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
Safale US-56 California Ale (Chico)

Got to sample Chillhayze's 777 this afternoon.

Warm.

Flat.

WONDERFUL.

DAMN tasty beer, I can't wait until mine is ready. Gotta get it racked over tomorrow night.

I just transferred my 777 into secondary yesterday - Looks & tastes good! I'm a little light on volume on this one too maybe 4.5 gallons in the fermenter. Gravity is at 1.014, should be nice.

Mine's in the fermenter.
I missed the OG by 9 points (1.062). Part of the problem is that I ended up with a little over 6 gallons. My 100 minute boil wasn't long enough. I also noticed that my grain bed had a channel going down the side of the tun. I've never seen this before.
Oh well, it's bubbling away. I hope it turns out good.

I just transfered mine over to secondary today. OG was 1.071 and FG is coming in at 1.014 for an attenuation of 79.3% and ABV of 7.5% :mug: The flavor is great, very grapefruity and is pretty dry. When this is carbed up and cold, this one is going to be great. It's dry hopping now with 1 oz of Colombus, 0.5 oz Cascade and 0.5 oz Amarillo. This beer is going to be awesome! :rockin:

I transferred mine to secondary today and forgot to dry hop. :mad:
At this point I'm thinking about dry hopping in the keg. Any thoughts?

Oh by the way. It is at 1.013 and tastes like grape fruit. Very bitter which is good because I was worried that I didn't add enough hops. No off tastes yet so I think it will be drinkable. :mug:

A buddy and I are spliting a batch.....our own version of 777. I just got it in the primary a few hours ago. We are going for something with moderate-high bitterness and a knock you on your ass hop flavor and aroma. It has 7 C hops and will be about 7% ABV, to be unvieled at our cookout on 7/7/7.

7 C's IPA
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.015
ABV: 7.0%
IBU: 59

Partial Mash:
4 lb Vienna
1 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 40L

Late Addition Extract:
5 lb XLDME

Hops:
0.75oz 12.0% Chinook - 60 min
0.75oz 5.8% Cascade - 60 min
0.75oz 7.0% Challenger - 60 min
0.34oz 14.8% Columbus - 25 min
0.34oz 5.1% Crystal - 25 min
0.33oz 14.8% Columbus - 20 min
0.33oz 5.1% Crystal - 20 min
0.33oz 14.8% Columbus - 13 min
0.33oz 5.1% Crystal - 13 min

Dry hop for 10 days in secondary with 1 oz each: Centennial (10.5%) Columbus (12.3%) Cluster (5.7%)

Yeast:
Safale US-05

Mine just went into secondary sat night with 2oz. Cascade.........This is going to be one HULLUVA beer!!!! 1.073 starting.

Back