Resuming Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting my Marzen. Today is day 7 of primary fermentation (at approx 52-53 degrees). Bubbling in my blow off tube had pretty much ceased so I took a hydrometer reading. It was very close to my FG. About an hour or two after taking the reading, I went into my basement to bring my carboy upstairs to start the diacetyl rest. However, the blow off tube is bubbling again. Probably a bubble every 10 seconds or so, but definitely more than it was doing before. What happened and should I just leave it down there for another day or two before I do a d-rest? Thanks!

I should probably clarify, it's more like a bubble every minute. I don't think I jostled the carboy around too much, but I did have to get the stopper off so maybe it stirred some things around?

If you are close to FG, start your D-rest.

Bubbles in your airlock could mean temperature swings, co2 knocked out of suspension due to sampling, general off-gassing...ie. a whole host of things. It is not a reliable measure of much.

Trust the numbers, not the bubbles.

RPG27 said:
I am in the process of fermenting my Marzen. Today is day 7 of primary fermentation (at approx 52-53 degrees). Bubbling in my blow off tube had pretty much ceased so I took a hydrometer reading. It was very close to my FG. About an hour or two after taking the reading, I went into my basement to bring my carboy upstairs to start the diacetyl rest. However, the blow off tube is bubbling again. Probably a bubble every 10 seconds or so, but definitely more than it was doing before. What happened and should I just leave it down there for another day or two before I do a d-rest? Thanks!

Fermentation was probably close to done when you took the reading.

As for the recent bubbles. Co2 is likely coming out of solution because the fermenter was moved and also possibly warmed up a bit. This will cause airlock activity again.

If your FG doesn't change over the next few days then its likely conditioning or pretty close to done. At any rate you can d rest now without problems and then lager when it's done.

EDITED

Fermentation was probably done when you took the reading and 7 days to FG is about right for an ale (depending in how you fermented it).

As for the recent bubbles. Co2 is likely coming out of solution because the fermenter was possibly moved a bit and warmed up when you took the reading. This will cause airlock activity again.

If your FG doesn't change over the next few days then its likely conditioning or pretty close to done. At any rate you can d rest now without problems. Keep an eye on if the beer starts to clear and rack once all the yeast are clear, or you can bulk age in the fermenter if you prefer.

A marzen is a lager, btw. But, 7 days to almost FG is okay. D-rest until at final gravity, then rack and lager.

ColoHox said:
A marzen is a lager, btw. But, 7 days to almost FG is okay. D-rest until at final gravity, then rack and lager.

My mistake. Edited my post above.

In that case I agree with d resting til FG and then proceed to lager

Back